[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FASTBACK PLUS

loafman@convexe.UUCP (03/05/88)

I just got Fastback+ version 1.1 (1.01??) and the READ.ME file said
that this version fixed a un/compress bug which had only been reported
by about 20 people.  Contact Fifth Generation and I'm sure they will
replace your package with one that works.

Kenneth W. Loafman @ CONVEX Computer Corp, Dallas, Texas | All opinions
Voice:	  work: (214) 952-0829  home: (214) 964-1250     | are my own,
USPSnail: 1705 Coit Rd #2101, Plano, Tx 75075		 | of course.
UUCP:	  ihnp4!convex!loafman	|  CompuServe: 72345,233 |        ...KWL

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (03/08/88)

Fifth Generation said they are automatically shipping
1.01 (of Fastback+) to REGISTERED users by zip code.
God knows what zip they started at (the guy on the phone
said he didnt know :-)  but you should get it soon (1-2 weeks)
if you sent in your registration card.

miek

PS the number to call is (504) 291-7283  for info

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (09/06/88)

In article <26014@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
>I would also recommend Fastback PLUS. It has loads of features, good
>error correction and writes disks in DOS compatible format.

Do you know a way to get FB+ to read from @cmd files with an arbitrary
number of lines like it did before? I have a great deal more than twenty
file specifications for backup inclusion.  That limit is killing me, and
I have to continue w/FastBack null.
--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

fleming@nvuxk.UUCP (George W. Fleming) (03/17/89)

When I purchased a copy of FASTBACK PLUS (Version 2.0 I believe) few months
ago and tried to use it, I came across an interesting phenomenon...

Doing a backup on my IBM PS/2 Model 70-121 with 3 1/2 inch floppies, I
noticed that the first floppy always gets done real fast.  After that,
every floppy always gets reformated for some reason (even though the
floppy was already formated).  This happens no matter how I rearrange
the disks (the first is always fast, the succeeding ones are always slow
because they have to be formatted).

I called Fifth Generation Systems about this problem and the technical
support person did not even think this was a problem.  She kept repeating
that I obviously had unformated disks.  I finally convinced her to write
it down as a software report, and wanted her to get back to me...that was
two to three months ago....

Has anyone had similar type of experience?  I also had some other strange
problems with this program (it rewrote the a disk before I had a chance
to put a new one in, some binary error I don't remember the details of,
etc.).  I am just rather surprised with all the problems I had since all
the magazines seem to give it such rave reviews.  With what I have seen
and the type of technical support I got, I don't know if I want to buy
their product again...

A while back I seem to have noticed someone posting an article about
problems using it on a PS/2 Model 50Z.  Is this a related problem?
Any insight would be welcomed.

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (03/18/89)

I would have preferred to e-mail this comment, but I couldn't find a
reasonable return address for the sender ("nvuxk" doesn't appear to be
in the maps, and he didn't include a signature with any path hints).
So, here goes with a followup posting.

In article <441@nvuxk.UUCP> fleming@nvuxk.UUCP
(George W. Fleming) writes:

	When I purchased a copy of FASTBACK PLUS (Version 2.0 I believe)
	few months ago and tried to use it, I came across an interesting
	phenomenon...

	Doing a backup on my IBM PS/2 Model 70-121 with 3 1/2 inch
	floppies, I noticed that the first floppy always gets done real
	fast.  After that, every floppy always gets reformated for some
	reason (even though the floppy was already formated).  This
	happens no matter how I rearrange the disks (the first is
	always fast, the succeeding ones are always slow because they
	have to be formatted).

I have used FASTBACK PLUS v2.01 for some time and have never seen this
problem.  I have a Taiwanese "turbo" XT clone (100% IBM-compatible) with
a 32-meg hard disk, and I dump to a 3.5"/1.44-meg diskette drive.
FASTBACK PLUS passes the "high DMA" test on my system, using this high-
density drive, with the CPU clock running at "turbo" speed (8 MHz).

I use the highest command level ("advanced"), with maximum compression
("save disks").  I can check my other configuration options and compare
them with the ones George uses, if he will get in touch with me via
e-mail.

When I use preformatted disks with FASTBACK PLUS, the program always
accepts them and doesn't try to reformat them.

	I also had some other strange problems with this program (it
	rewrote the a disk before I had a chance to put a new one in,
	some binary error I don't remember the details of, etc.).

I've never seen this problem on my system.  FASTBACK PLUS always waits
for me to put in the next disk.

	A while back I seem to have noticed someone posting an article
	about problems using it on a PS/2 Model 50Z.  Is this a related
	problem?  Any insight would be welcomed.

Well, of course, if George's problem stems from some strangeness with
the PS/2, my experience with an XT-clone would not be relevant.  Again,
though, I'll be glad to discuss this issue at more length via e-mail,
if George will contact me with a reasonable return path.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
"Now, drop your weapons, or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby."

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) (03/18/89)

> bunch of problems with fastback  mainly disk formatting

I have used Fastback going to 360/720/1200 K floppies and 720/1.44 3.5"
floppies.  I have seen the error that  ??? at nvuxk has seen.  I finally
decided that it was due to a substandard floppy disk drive.  It was a
360k 5.25" floppy drive and that was the only floppy drive on which the
error ocurred.  I have not seen any of the other problems but it is possible
that they are related.  I just quit using that drive for backups.

Mike Loving          loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
                     . . . {hplabs,ucbvax,uunet}!cs.ucla.edu!loving

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/19/89)

NB: Another question at end of article!!!

In article <441@nvuxk.UUCP> fleming@nvuxk.UUCP (George W. Fleming) writes:
>Doing a backup on my IBM PS/2 Model 70-121 with 3 1/2 inch floppies, I
>noticed that the first floppy always gets done real fast.  After that,
>every floppy always gets reformated for some reason (even though the
>floppy was already formated).  This happens no matter how I rearrange
>the disks (the first is always fast, the succeeding ones are always slow
>because they have to be formatted).

I had a similar, but less disturbing, experience.  I'm using a PS/30 on
Novell to 3.5" DS/DD disks.  Let's say I'm doing a backup, the first
time with unformatted disks.  So it formats, takes four disks.  I backup
again, same databse, same disks, no changes.  This time it does *not*
format (of course), but it takes *less* time, reaches the fourth disk,
and asks for a fifth, which it formats.  On repeating this process, each
time the size of the backup set increases by some small amount,
converging on, say, 5 1/2 disks.

OK, all these backups look great, good history files, just different
sizes for each backed up file.  So I call 5th Generation and get a
similar ignorant, rude response, put on hold, etc.  Eventually I am told
that intelligent compression is going on whereby with unformatted disks
(apparently since it's already taking its time with the formatting) does
*more* compression, yielding *less* disks with *more* time.  Thereafter
compression gets less, yielding *more* disks with *less* time.  How it
know to do this, I don't know.  But I was happy w/that until your
posting.

Now *my* question: moving from old Fastback to FB+ I lost my most
important feature, being able to give an arbitrarily long list of
arbitrary filespecs to back up.  *THEY ONLY GIVE YOU TWENTY DAMNED
FILESPECS TO INCLUDE*! The old @file syntax is gone?! Am I overlooking
something obvious?  When I asked 5th Generation they didn't seem to
think so. . .
--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/19/89)

While installing Fastback Plus for a friend, I discovered a bit of
very sloppy programming in it.  The installation program modifies
the path statement.  It does not check for previous modification.
If you have to abort the installation, the next go round will
again modify the path, adding the fastback directory.  With a
little luck you run out of environment space.

One would think a professional programmer would know enough to
examine the path (and environment size) before diddling it.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/21/89)

In article <2000@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>[...]Eventually I am told
>that intelligent compression is going on whereby with unformatted disks
>(apparently since it's already taking its time with the formatting) does
>*more* compression, yielding *less* disks with *more* time.  Thereafter
>compression gets less, yielding *more* disks with *less* time.  How it
>know to do this, I don't know.

When using the "Advanced" menu, you  can select between compression
"off" , "save time", and "save disks".  In "save time" it only compresses
when there is time available.  "save time" is also the default.
On a slow machine (like a PC/XT) it essentually will not compress at all
in this setting.  "save disks" gives maximum compression.  On a fast machine
(such as an 80386), "save disks" can actually save time by requiring fewer
disk changes!  On ATs or greater, I always use "save disks".  On my old "XT"
compatible, I went back to the original Fastback -- it's faster!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/21/89)

>One would think a professional programmer would know enough to
>examine the path (and environment size) before diddling it.

One would hope that any person selling a program would warn the
user loudly and vigorously before mucking with their config.sys
or autoexec.bat files.

This starts up the occasional "setup program" wars. I feel ornery
just now, having yesterday re-installed Microsoft Windows for the
99th time just to change video driver mode.

Software writers, when you decide how to have the user install
the software, please not the following: (Microsoft take note!!!!)

1. The user may not want to install the whole package - when I install
   Microsoft C or Fortran I only want the compiler, includes, and
   libraries (for the memory model I want!) NOT - repeat NOT -
   suck dreck as Quick C or their silly editor!!! I DON'T want all
   those stupid .pif files with Microsoft Windows!! Most of the
   programs I never heard of.

2. The user might want to use a directory of HIS choice, not yours -
   and might not be ABLE to install from a: (if your disks are 5 inch
   and his a: is 3 inch!) (Microsoft does OK here.)

3. The user might want to just change PART of an installation, not the whole
   thing.  Windows is a big offender here.

4. Please -Please - Please- don't modify config.sys or autoexec.bat -
   instead write out something like config.sam or autoexec.sam
   (.sam is for sample).

I suggest writing up a section of the manual that explains what goes
where, AND WHY, and implementing it as a batch file, so the user can
modify it.

Doug Mc Donald

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/28/89)

As quoted from <45900214@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> by mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:
+---------------
| 2. The user might want to use a directory of HIS choice, not yours -
|    and might not be ABLE to install from a: (if your disks are 5 inch
|    and his a: is 3 inch!) (Microsoft does OK here.)
+---------------

Only partially.  When we installed Apex (which comes with Windows) on a Dell
220, the install went fine until it ran MEMSET -- which absolutely INSISTED
that the Utilities disk be in A:.  Since Apex comes on 5 1/4" disks, and the
Dell 220 has a 3 1/2" A:, I had to abort MEMSET and build a special disk for
it.  --Following which, every time we started Windows we got an annoying
"memory size changed, run SETUP" message until I finally got sick of it and
re-installed Windows from scratch.  Sigh....

| 3. The user might want to just change PART of an installation, not the whole
|    thing.  Windows is a big offender here.

Sigh.  Isn't it, though?  Couldn't they have taken an example from their own
MS Word 4.0 install program?

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org