[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What do I need to program under MS Windows?

lang@netcom.UUCP (Chris Lang) (03/27/89)

I've been programming in C for a while now, and using MS Windows occasionally,
and the thought just struck me that it would be just _nifty_ to program in C
for MS Windows.

The second thing that struck me is that I don't know what I need to program
under MS Windows.  I realize there is a Windows Software Development Kit (or
whatever the exact title is), but I know nothing about what it costs and what
it can do for me.  Do I _need_ the SDK to program under Windows?  If yes, how
much is it?  If no, what are my other options?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been covered before.

Chris

Chris Lang
lang@netcom.UUCP   -or-   chrisl@cup.portal.com
                          ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!chrisl

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (03/28/89)

In article <39@netcom.UUCP>, lang@netcom.UUCP (Chris Lang) writes:
> The second thing that struck me is that I don't know what I need to program
> under MS Windows.  I realize there is a Windows Software Development Kit (or
> whatever the exact title is), but I know nothing about what it costs and what
> it can do for me.  Do I _need_ the SDK to program under Windows?  If yes, how
> much is it?  If no, what are my other options?

There may be some complete language processor systems that run under Windows
(as opposed to windowing environments), but I'm not aware of them offhand.
The Windows Software Development Kit is what most people who do this sort
of thing use.  You probably don't _need_ the SDK, but on the other hand you
don't really _need_ a C compiler or an assembler or a linker ... you _can_
roll your own you know, if you have enough time!  The SDK really does give
you a lot of tools ... some of them a bit clunky, but most of them useful.
If you don't buy it you would probably have to spend a LOT of time re-inventing
the wheel before you could get useful work done.

The SDK has things like a modified linker (for the dynamic link libraries
that Windows uses), an icon editor, a resource compiler, the various
#include files for the C compiler, and various debugging aids, plus a
reasonable amount of documentation.

The documentation however is not really a very good introduction programming
in Windows.  You might look at "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold
(published by Microsoft Press), and "Graphics Programming under Windows"
by Brian Myers and Chris Doner (published by Sybex).  There are probably
other books available in your local bookstore/book club.

Be prepared for a fairly steep learning curve if you haven't dealt with
programming under windowing environments before.

Good luck.

						Bruce C. Wright