[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNIX for PC?

mudie@xenon.Berkeley.EDU (David C Mudie) (03/28/89)

My father would like to learn to program under a "real" UNIX in C
on his IBM PC clone.  Any recommendations for such a system?
Is Xenix the way to go?

Please reply to this account...

	-D-

David C Mudie 	4310 Shafter		mudie@argon.Berkeley.EDU
		Oakland CA 94609	...ucbvax!argon!mudie
I'm not wearing Dockers.  I'm just wearing pants.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/28/89)

In article <11498@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> mudie@xenon.Berkeley.EDU (David C Mudie) writes:
>My father would like to learn to program under a "real" UNIX in C
>on his IBM PC clone.  Any recommendations for such a system?

Depends what you mean by "real UNIX."  If you want to learn C and shell
programming, get the MKS Toolkit (more value per buck than any other
piece of software) and a C compiler (I use Borland but also have MicroShaft).
If you want to learn to be a **IX system administrator, SCO Xenix is fine
but it is rather pricey for one user.