[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton SI Computer Name

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) (03/22/89)

Hello!

I've a Wyse pc286 model 2108 (8MHz '286), and the Norton SI utility
lists the computer name as "IBM XT/286".  What is that?  I thought
that the IBM PC/XT had an 8088 processor.  Shouldn't the SI list the
computer name as an AT?

        -- JJS

rkl1@hound.UUCP (K.LAUX) (03/25/89)

In article <2410@bucsb.UUCP>, crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) writes:

| I've a Wyse pc286 model 2108 (8MHz '286), and the Norton SI utility
| lists the computer name as "IBM XT/286".  What is that?  I thought
| that the IBM PC/XT had an 8088 processor.  Shouldn't the SI list the
| computer name as an AT?

	SI has no problem here - it is merely reading the contents of the
ROM BIOS and the string "IBM XT/286" is what is there

--rkl

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/26/89)

In article <2410@bucsb.UUCP>, crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) writes:

| I've a Wyse pc286 model 2108 (8MHz '286), and the Norton SI utility
| lists the computer name as "IBM XT/286".  What is that?  I thought
| that the IBM PC/XT had an 8088 processor.  Shouldn't the SI list the
| computer name as an AT?

The IBM XT/286 was the precursor to the IBM-AT: it was an XT with a
286 processor.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

roller@Jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) (03/26/89)

In article <54800@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <2410@bucsb.UUCP>, crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) writes:
>|
>| I've a Wyse pc286 model 2108 (8MHz '286), and the Norton SI utility
>| lists the computer name as "IBM XT/286".  What is that?  I thought
>| that the IBM PC/XT had an 8088 processor.  Shouldn't the SI list the
>| computer name as an AT?
>|

>The IBM XT/286 was the precursor to the IBM-AT: it was an XT with a
>286 processor.

Well, sort of.  The XT/286 was made about two years after the introduction
of the AT.  It had a 286 processor in an XT case, which meant that
full-height AT cards would not fit.  It didn't last too long -- dropped
quietly from IBM's line after about a year or so.

Jason Deines
roller@jessica.stanford.edu

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (03/28/89)

In article <54800@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
}|
}
}The IBM XT/286 was the precursor to the IBM-AT: it was an XT with a
}286 processor.
}
Wrong.  The XT/286 came AFTER the AT.  As to why it shows up,  IBM
places a marker in their BIOS around F000:FFFE (exact address may be
different).  This is a 1 byte marker.  I can't find the exact values
(It was described in one of Byte's IBM special editions) but it's something
like:

	FF = PC
	FE = XT
	FD = AT
	FC = PC conv
	FB = XT/286
	FA = PS/2

	etc...

Note to Flamers:  These values are from memory, and are probably wrong.  They
are posted to get across the point as to WHY wysepc286 says XT286 under norton.

So, your Wyse's BIOS has an FB (or whatever) in the critical spot,and Norton SI
thinks you're an XT/286.

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge