[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Writing 360kb Disks from 1.2 Mb Drive

joel@peora.UUCP (03/15/89)

I just got a high-density floppy controller for my XT clone at
home and I was thinking about replacing the 360 kb drive with
a 1.2 Mb one. The other floppy bay already has a 720 kb drive.

I would still like to able to write disks that a 360 kb drive
can read, since I need to transfer data to machines sometimes
that only have 360kb drives. I know that this process is not
reliable with the normal write on a 1.2 mb drive.

I've have seen ads for programs that purport to let a 1.2 mb write
to 360kb disks reliably. I would like to know if these programs
actually work, and if so which ones do work. I would also like
to hear if there are any public domain or shareware versions
of these programs.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/15/89)

In article <3789@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
>I would still like to able to write disks that a 360 kb drive
>can read...............

I recently posted the same issue to the net, and several people
responded with a workable solution:

Format the 360k disk on the 1.2M drive using the /4 switch.  You may
then write to that disk on the 1.2M drive, and it can be read on a 360k drive.
Do not write that disk on the 360k drive (this includes deleting files).
The 1.2M drive should be able to read a 360k disk formatted on the 360k
drive with no problems.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-TOFU
	Atlanta, GA

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (03/16/89)

In article <3789@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
>I just got a high-density floppy controller for my XT clone at
>home and I was thinking about replacing the 360 kb drive with
>a 1.2 Mb one. The other floppy bay already has a 720 kb drive.
>
>I would still like to able to write disks that a 360 kb drive
>can read, since I need to transfer data to machines sometimes
>that only have 360kb drives. I know that this process is not
>reliable with the normal write on a 1.2 mb drive.

If possible, you might want to borrow a couple of 1.2 Meg drives from
different manufacturers and try them on your machine.  I have heard that
the problem with 1.2 Meg drives is not universal.  My Leading Edge D2 has
a Panasonic 1.2 Meg drive, and a controller on the motherboard, and I have
been unable to MAKE 360K disks fail on other machines, and I've tried pretty
hard.

Tom

--
Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (03/20/89)

In article <3787@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) replies:
-
-Format the 360k disk on the 1.2M drive using the /4 switch.  You may
-then write to that disk on the 1.2M drive, and it can be read on a 360k drive.
-Do not write that disk on the 360k drive (this includes deleting files).
-The 1.2M drive should be able to read a 360k disk formatted on the 360k
-drive with no problems.

	Better yet: if you know for sure that the disk has been written to
on a 360K drive, copy the content of the disk to another disk (say, a
harddisk), erase the disk completely (using a magnet or a bulk-eraser),
format with the /4 switch, and copy the content right back.  Works every
time...
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (03/23/89)

In article <3524@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
]-In article <3789@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
]->I would still like to able to write disks that a 360 kb drive
]->can read...............
]
]In article <3787@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) replies:
]-
]-Format the 360k disk on the 1.2M drive using the /4 switch.  You may
]-then write to that disk on the 1.2M drive, and it can be read on a 360k drive.
]-Do not write that disk on the 360k drive (this includes deleting files).
]-The 1.2M drive should be able to read a 360k disk formatted on the 360k
]-drive with no problems.
]
]	Better yet: if you know for sure that the disk has been written to
]on a 360K drive, copy the content of the disk to another disk (say, a
]harddisk), erase the disk completely (using a magnet or a bulk-eraser),
]format with the /4 switch, and copy the content right back.  Works every
]time...

I think you guys got it backwards... The original poster wanted a way
to write 360's on a 1.2M drive so that a standard 360K drive could read
it.  The 1.2M drive's heads write a much narrower track, or some such
so sometimes 360's written on a 1.2M drive can ONLY be read by a 1.2M
drive.  A software package (CPYAT2PC) claims to have solved this problem.

Two questions:

	1) Does said software package work

	2) If it does, why doesn't IBM/MS use it in the driver?

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (03/26/89)

In article <1852@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott Neugroschl) writes:
>In article <3524@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
>]-In article <3789@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
>]->I would still like to able to write disks that a 360 kb drive
>]->can read...............
>]
>    [stuff deleted]
>]In article <3787@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) replies:
>
>I think you guys got it backwards... The original poster wanted a way
>to write 360's on a 1.2M drive so that a standard 360K drive could read
>it.  The 1.2M drive's heads write a much narrower track, or some such
>so sometimes 360's written on a 1.2M drive can ONLY be read by a 1.2M
>drive.  A software package (CPYAT2PC) claims to have solved this problem.
>
>    [more stuff deleted]
>
>Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
>UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

Don't know about CPYAT2PC, but I have had success with the following method:

KEY--->	1) Format the disk on the 360K drive
	2) Copy the files you want to it using the 1.2MByte drive.

It seems that the formatting is what kills the portability..once formatted,
the thing seems to work so a 360K drive can read the disk.  Of course, if you
don't have access to a 360K drive to do the original format, you're stuck.

marc
= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
=                                                                             =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =

air@anableps.berkeley.edu (03/26/89)

>Don't know about CPYAT2PC, but I have had success with the following method:
>
>KEY--->	1) Format the disk on the 360K drive
>	2) Copy the files you want to it using the 1.2MByte drive.
>
>It seems that the formatting is what kills the portability..once formatted,
>the thing seems to work so a 360K drive can read the disk.  Of course, if you
>don't have access to a 360K drive to do the original format, you're stuck.
>marc
I have found this method to be successful on many difernt systems
i have worked with.
Hope this helps.

_______  _    __   _    _        __  __  Arthur Ernest Wright @
\     / / \  /    / \  / \  /   /   /  \ (503)344-7969
 \ O / /__/ /__  /  / /__/ /   /__  \__  ___  _  _  _
  \ / /    /    /  / /    /   /       |   |  |_ /  | \ /\ |  /\ /_ \/
   v /    /__   \_/ /    /__ /__  \__/    |  |_ \_ | | \/ |_ \/ \/ /

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (03/28/89)

As long as the double density floppy has been formatted on a double
density drive, it should be usuable on both high density and double
density drives in any situation.

I help copy our campus SAS distribution.  One batch we formatted the
diskettes on double density drives, the other we bought pre-formatted
disks.   All disks were written on by about 20 IBM AT's with high
density drives.  Of the 1200 diskettes done, none have come back due
to read failure.  They were being used by all type of drives and
machines.

Tim.
--
Tim Lange.

Purdue U. Computing Center/MATH Bldg./W. Lafayette, IN  47907/317-494-1787
Arpanet=tim@j.cc.purdue.edu/CIS=75410,525/Bitnet=TIM@PURCCVM/Fidonet=1:201/30