[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Disassembler for the IBM PC?

arman@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (03/23/89)

Does anyone know of a disassembler for IBM PC (MS-DOS) executables that
runs under MS-DOS or Unix? "debug" and "CodeView" just don't do the trick
when you want to fully disassemble a large executable.

Thanx,
arman.

-- Arman Bostani // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-3194
	3417 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
	arman@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!arman

jones@cg-atla.UUCP (Gary Jones) (03/24/89)

In article <22121@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> arman@CS.UCLA.EDU (Arman Bostani) writes:

>Does anyone know of a disassembler for IBM PC (MS-DOS) executables that
>runs under MS-DOS or Unix? "debug" and "CodeView" just don't do the trick
>when you want to fully disassemble a large executable.

     I have used "Masterkey" several times and it works well.  I dont
remember who developed it but it is regularly advertised in computer
shopper and other tech mags.

     It will generate either a source or a listing file.

Good luck

u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) (03/25/89)

In article <22121@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> arman@CS.UCLA.EDU (Arman Bostani) writes:

>Does anyone know of a disassembler for IBM PC (MS-DOS) executables that
>runs under MS-DOS or Unix?

ASMGEN is PD stuff and works well. I have a copy and it generates reasonable
assembly source code. Of course, no comments, and the labels are only things
like L001: but it's better than debug. In fact, it may be difficult to find
a disassembler that generates better source.
Dan Floyd
8<D=

in article <1421@wasatch.UUCP>, u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) says:
$
$ In article <22121@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> arman@CS.UCLA.EDU (Arman Bostani) writes:
$$
$$Does anyone know of a disassembler for IBM PC (MS-DOS) executables that
$$runs under MS-DOS or Unix?
$
$ ASMGEN is PD stuff and works well. I have a copy and it generates reasonable
$ assembly source code. Of course, no comments, and the labels are only things
$ like L001: but it's better than debug. In fact, it may be difficult to find
$ a disassembler that generates better source.
$ Dan Floyd
$ 8<D=

1) Does ASMGEN do both .exe and .com?

2) How do I get a copy? (preferably ftp)

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D               ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!jhl
2367 Science Parkway                   ...uunet!frith!jhl
Okemos, MI, 48864                Home: ...uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl

spock@sfsup.UUCP (+Giacchi T.) (03/29/89)

In article <2285@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> in article <1421@wasatch.UUCP>, u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) says:
> $
> $ In article <22121@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> arman@CS.UCLA.EDU (Arman Bostani) writes:
> $$
> $$Does anyone know of a disassembler for IBM PC (MS-DOS) executables that
> $$runs under MS-DOS or Unix?
> $
> $ ASMGEN is PD stuff and works well. I have a copy and it generates reasonable
> $ assembly source code. Of course, no comments, and the labels are only things
>
> 1) Does ASMGEN do both .exe and .com?
>
> 2) How do I get a copy? (preferably ftp)

You can also try the SOURCER by V-COMMUNCATIONS.  It is a commenting
dis-asm.  It works for .sys, .bin, .com, .exe files.  If you get the
BIOS preprocessor, you can dis-asm your rom bios!  Without BIOS it
lists for $99.95, with BIOS PRE-PR. it is $139.95.  Programmer's connections
sells it discounted.  If you want it and can't find V-COMM, scream and I will
look it up for you.

- Only a fool fights in a burning house.			-
- Most illogical.						-
- attunix!spock	- My opinions are mine and you can't have them. -