[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Use extended memory as EMS?

vanden@studsys.mu.edu (vandenberg) (03/13/89)

Does anyone recall the names of some software that will allow
a person to use extended memory as expanded memory?  Please
reply directly and I post a summary if netfolk request it.
Thanks.
-----
Tom Vandenberg                {..uunet..uwvax!uwmcsd1..}!marque!studsys!vanden
                                       {..uwvax..arpa..}!studsys.mu.edu!vanden
414-291-0935                                        vanden%studsys@marque.UUCP
Disclaimer - No one knows what I do, not even me.       43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Daniel A. Durbin) (03/14/89)

The following was extracted from EMSIM.DOC:

The  EMSimulator  or Expanded Memory Simulator,  bridges the  gap
between   your  application  software  and  the  AT's  previously
unusable  Extended  memory.  Now programs such as Lotus  123  v2,
Symphony v1.1,  Lightning,  Reflex v1.1,  and most L-I-M Expanded
Memory  compatible software can access up to 8 megabytes of  your
AT's   extra  memory.   By  removing  the  640K  restriction  and
limitations of conventional memory,  expanded memory makes  large
spreadsheets and databases a reality.

The  EMSimulator  is  compatible  with the IBM  AT  and  most  AT
"Clones"  including  Compaq's 286  series.  Installation  of  the
EMSimulator  is quick and easy requiring only an addition to your
"CONFIG.SYS"  file  and that extended memory be available via  an
expansion board as mentioned above.  Compaq 286's and some clones
already  have extended memory capabilities so  additional  boards
may  not  be  required!  Contact  us  or  your  dealer  for  more
information.

I think they want $49 for the program which seems steep when there
are most likely other less expensive alternatives.

EMSIM.ARC is available at simtel.

	Daniel Durbin___________________________________________________
	SysOp: Cygnus X-1 BBS		| CIS: 73447,1744
	(805) 541-8505 (data)		| GEnie: D.DURBIN
	EL major at PolySlo		| ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/23/89)

In article <9403@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Daniel A. Durbin) writes:
>The following was extracted from EMSIM.DOC:
>
>The  EMSimulator  or Expanded Memory Simulator,  bridges the  gap...

What _wasn't_ quoted from the documentation was:

      This  document  and its respective files are a  complete  working
      limited evaluation  version of the EMSimulator. All functions are
-->   implemented with the exception that simulated Expanded memory can
-->   not be larger than 256K in size.  Users are allowed to distribute
      this  version  freely as long as it is not modified in  any  way.
      Anyone   who  finds  the EMSimulator  useful  are  encouraged  to
      purchase   the   complete   package   which   included    printed
      documentation and an unrestricted version, which will allow up to
      8 megabytes of extended memory to be used as expanded memory, for
      only $49.95.

("-->" are mine - kde)

This is from the USENET distribution of the program.  It is what we
are calling "crippleware."

kEITHe

pfales@ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) (03/27/89)

In article <9403@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Daniel A. Durbin) writes:
> The following was extracted from EMSIM.DOC:
>
> The  EMSimulator  or Expanded Memory Simulator,  bridges the  gap
> between   your  application  software  and  the  AT's  previously
> unusable  Extended  memory.  Now programs such as Lotus  123  v2,
> Symphony v1.1,  Lightning,  Reflex v1.1,  and most L-I-M Expanded
> Memory  compatible software can access up to 8 megabytes of  your
> AT's   extra  memory.   By  removing  the  640K  restriction  and
> limitations of conventional memory,  expanded memory makes  large
> spreadsheets and databases a reality.

So how do they do this??  I have a theory, but it sounds like the
cure is worse than the disease.  I think they steal 64K (out of your
640) and use the INT 15 extended memory block copy to copy data in and
out of that 64K block.  I would like to find out that there is a better way!

Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza
UUCP:	...att!ttrde!pfales	Naperville, IL 60566
Domain: pfales@ttrde.att.com	work:	(312) 416-5357

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (03/29/89)

In article <913@ttrde.UUCP> pfales@ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) writes:
-So how do they do this??  I have a theory, but it sounds like the
-cure is worse than the disease.  I think they steal 64K (out of your
-640) and use the INT 15 extended memory block copy to copy data in and

-Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
-				200 Park Plaza
-UUCP:	...att!ttrde!pfales	Naperville, IL 60566
-Domain: pfales@ttrde.att.com	work:	(312) 416-5357

I don't know technically how they work, but I do know that they take 64K of
conventrional memeory, which makes them almost useless at times.

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu