[comp.sys.ibm.pc] GNU Emacs for PC

dougl@westfort.UUCP (Douglas Luce) (03/22/89)

Has anyone tried or succeeded in porting GNU's Emacs over to the PC?  If not,
is there an adequate (or better) PC Emacs clone?  I'm looking for a fantastic
editor to standardize all my stuff on, and like GNU Emacs a lot....

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (Jim Vickroy) (03/24/89)

In article <2375@westfort.UUCP> westfort!dougl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
=>is there an adequate (or better) PC Emacs clone?  I'm looking for a fantastic
=>editor to standardize all my stuff on, and like GNU Emacs a lot....

Try JOVE. I'm not sure where to get it but I'm sure someone on the net does.

jim
--

!==================================================================!=========!
! Jim Vickroy                          | cbosgd!osu-cis!sppy00!jmv !/././././!

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (03/25/89)

In article <2375@westfort.UUCP> westfort!dougl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>is there an adequate (or better) PC Emacs clone?  I'm looking for a fantastic
>editor to standardize all my stuff on, and like GNU Emacs a lot....

We have been extremely impressed with Lugaru Software Ltd.'s Epsilon.
It provides an extremely powerful editing environment for the PC modeled after
GNU Emacs:

        Lugaru Software Ltd.
        5843 Forbes Ave
        Pittsburgh  PA  15217
        (412)421-5911

Standard disclaimers apply.
--
-----------------
Peter Palij                                               uunet!apexepa!peter

   Has anyone tried or succeeded in porting GNU's Emacs over to the
   PC?  If not, is there an adequate (or better) PC Emacs clone?  I'm
   looking for a fantastic editor to standardize all my stuff on, and
   like GNU Emacs a lot....

Take a look at Freemacs.  It's the only PC editor that is programmable AND
tries to be compatible with GNU emacs.  Howtoget.doc follows:

You may freely copy this software.  I only ask that you send improvements
back to me for incorporation into the package for the rest of us.  The
distribution is available from one or more of the following sources:

EMACS15D ARC   The executables and MINT code.
EMACS100 ARC   Zenith Z-100 version.  Requires EMACS15D.
EMACSPEL ARC   Spelling checker.
EMACSEGA ARC   A collection of EGA utilities
EMAC15DS ARC   The .ASM source.

WFM BBS:

(315)265-8207 - 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs.  File Area 4.  No registration
required to download Freemacs.

CUHUG BBS:

(315)268-6667 - 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs.  File area 25.  No registration
required to download Freemacs.

Internet:

Anonymous ftp to simtel20.army.mil from PD:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>

Internet:

anonymous FTP to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196] from
/e/files/freemacs

Bitnet && UUCP:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  You may use
archive-server%sun.soe.clarkson.edu@omnigate if you are on Bitnet, or
uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server if you are using UUCP.  The
mail message should consist of 'help' if you want to learn how to use
the archive server, or else if you just want to get Freemacs, then send
the following lines:
	send freemacs emacs15d.aa
	send freemacs emacs15d.ab
	send freemacs emacs15d.ac
	send freemacs emacs15d.ad
	send freemacs emacs15d.ae
The files that you will get back should be concatenated together, run
through uudecode, and thence through an unARCer such as arc or pkxarc.

I would like to see it on GEnie and Compu$erve, but they are a toll call
for me.

Or else send $15 (copying fee) to the author.  This will assure you of the
latest version.  Please specify floppy format:
  5.25", 1.2 Meg
  5.25", 360K
  3.50", 720K

			Russell Nelson
			11 Grant St.
			Potsdam, NY 13676

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
If you can, help others.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/26/89)

In article <560@apexepa.UUCP> peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) writes:
>We have been extremely impressed with Lugaru Software Ltd.'s Epsilon.
>It provides an extremely powerful editing environment for the PC modeled after
>GNU Emacs:

I've got that one too, and it's certainly nice.  But it has one, major,
annoying flaw: no undo command!  ARGH!  (You mean I have to get it right
the first time?)

If you want a free one, try microEmacs or Jove. (both should be in
the archives somewhere)

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

jacobs%cmos.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Steven R. Jacobs) (03/26/89)

In article <3016@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <560@apexepa.UUCP> peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) writes:
>>We have been extremely impressed with Lugaru Software Ltd.'s Epsilon.
>
>I've got that one too, and it's certainly nice.  But it has one, major,
>annoying flaw: no undo command!  ARGH!  (You mean I have to get it right
>the first time?)

Epsilon version 4.0 *DOES* have an undo command, as well as a "redo"
command that lets you undo the undo command.  This version can also take
advantage of EMS memory, and includes support for tags in C and assembly
language programs.

Steve Jacobs  ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (03/27/89)

In article <3016@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>I've got that one too, and it's certainly nice.  But it has one, major,
>annoying flaw: no undo command!  ARGH!  (You mean I have to get it right
>the first time?)
>
>If you want a free one, try microEmacs or Jove. (both should be in
>the archives somewhere)

Excuse me, but does uEmacs have UNDO?

Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/27/89)

In article <2018@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>Excuse me, but does uEmacs have UNDO?

As of version 3.9, no.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (03/27/89)

In article <3016@epimass.EPI.COM> you write:
>>Lugaru Software Ltd.'s Epsilon.
>
>But it has one, major, annoying flaw: no undo command!

Cured in the just released 4.0 version...has an undo with a selectable
buffer size (500,000 byte default), effectively unlimited number of
backward steps (undo executed 5 times undoes last 5 actions), and a redo
(oops, I only wanted to go back 4 steps, undo my last undo).  It also has
one powerful process window feature, and you thought multi processing was
for non-DOS machines ;-)
--
-----------------

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/29/89)

.
. I've got that one too, and it's certainly nice.  But it has one, major,
. annoying flaw: no undo command!  ARGH!  (You mean I have to get it right
. the first time?)
.
. -- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

The latest upgrade notice from Lugaru Software says they have a 2000
step undo now.

--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Sad but true: the three most powerful emotions are greed, fear, and hatred.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (03/30/89)

In article <1147@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
     The latest upgrade notice from Lugaru Software says they have a
     2000 step undo now.

ARRGGHHH!  I made a mistake 2001 steps ago, on my HAL..er...IBM PC.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (03/30/89)

In article <6382@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>>In article <1147@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>>    The latest upgrade notice from Lugaru Software says they have a
>>    2000 step undo now.
>ARRGGHHH!  I made a mistake 2001 steps ago, on my HAL..er...IBM PC.
>Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

Recent scientific evidence indicates that all extant mistakes derive
from a single Ur-mistake that was made 2.001x10**27 steps ago.