[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Emacs clones

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (03/28/89)

If I can add my $0.02 to the emacs discussion here...one thing to
watch for is that one version of 80xx emacs will handle files of
any size (microEMACS??) and one seems to have a 64k limit (Freemacs??)
.....I might have the names reversed!!  Me, I'll take the no-size-
limit version any day (even if it isn't full-featured).

           Roger      rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
                      ucbvax!lll-lcc!rzh

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (03/28/89)

I don't know about freemacs or other variants, but microemacs as maintained
by Dan Lawrence (v3.10 just announced) has free-real-memory as its filesize
limit.  In one experiment (repeatedly reinserting the delete buffer), when
it finally ran out of memory it crashed and burned rather than terminating
gracefully.  (This might be due to my own code hacking, and applies to an
older version, v3.9e.)

I can generally hit around 300K for all buffers, depending on TSR load etc.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/30/89)

In article <2382@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
| If I can add my $0.02 to the emacs discussion here...one thing to
| watch for is that one version of 80xx emacs will handle files of
| any size (microEMACS??) and one seems to have a 64k limit (Freemacs??)
| .....I might have the names reversed!!  Me, I'll take the no-size-
| limit version any day (even if it isn't full-featured).

  I don't know of *any* version which has no limit. MicroEMACS, at least
up to v3.9p, keeps the file in memory and will run out on large files.
On real computers and operating system it will handle multi-megabyte
files.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

las) (03/31/89)

In article <13491@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <2382@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>| If I can add my $0.02 to the emacs discussion here...one thing to
>| watch for is that one version of 80xx emacs will handle files of
>| any size (microEMACS??) and one seems to have a 64k limit (Freemacs??)

>  I don't know of *any* version which has no limit. MicroEMACS, at least
>up to v3.9p, keeps the file in memory and will run out on large files.

I just got the Jove 4.12 sources.  The accompanying readme's state that
different versions may be generated from the source for the PC, depending
on your requirements.  "Large" versions use all available memory and an
indefinitely large temporary file.  It claims to be able to edit a file of
20,000 to 25,000 lines on a 640KB PC with enough disk space to hold the
temporary file.  A "medium" version is also possible which limits itself
to 130KB of RAM and a temporary file of 512KB with the ability to edit
a file of 4,500 to 5,000 lines.  I have to get Turbo C patches from
somebody else listed in the documentation before I can even try it.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave