[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MicroSoft C 5.1

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (03/17/88)

I read Microcoft's product announcement for C 5.1 on Compuserve
last night.  Does anyone know when it will really be or if it
is available?  If so, is there a reasonable update policy from
5.0?  Is there a list of corrected bugs?

cox@bentley.UUCP (MH Cox) (03/17/88)

In article <935@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@ll-xn.UUCP writes:

>I read Microcoft's product announcement for C 5.1 on Compuserve
>last night.  Does anyone know when it will really be or if it
>is available?  If so, is there a reasonable update policy from
>5.0?  Is there a list of corrected bugs?

I read in one of the trade magazines (InfoWorld, I think), that
the upgrade would be available either "in Apr" or "Apr 30" (can't
remember which).  I can't remember whether they mentioned anything
about up-grade policy, but my guess is that since MSC 5.0 turned
out to be so buggy and since 5.1 is supposed to ship only 5 months
after I _finally_ got my 5.0 up-grade, I'm hoping the up-grade
costs will be reasonable (<$75?).  Also, they have lost so much momentum
to Borland, that I don't think they can afford to have their up-grade
costs much higher than the cost of buying Turbo C :-).

Michael H. Cox			ARPA:  cox@garage.nj.att.com
AT&T Bell Labs			UUCP:  ihnp4!bentley!cox
184 Liberty Corner Road		COMPU$ERVE:  76525,3703
Rm 3N-D04
Warren, NJ  07060
(201) 580-8622

alexc@psu-cs.UUCP (Alex M. Chan.) (03/18/88)

	ME TOO ! if there is an upgrade for 5.0 ---> 5.1 ?
thanks.

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (03/19/88)

I don't know why not.  I've had to buy three new versions of MASM so far
to keep current.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

michael@orcisi.UUCP (Michael Herman) (03/20/88)

> I read Microcoft's product announcement for C 5.1 on Compuserve
> last night.  Does anyone know when it will really be or if it
> is available?  If so, is there a reasonable update policy from
> 5.0?  Is there a list of corrected bugs?

Microsoft Canada hasn't been able to ship 5.0 updates yet.  We've been
waiting a couple months.

brent@itm.UUCP (Brent) (03/29/89)

    Greetings!

        I teach a ten-week class called "Introduction to the C Programming
Language" in the continuing education department of a local junior college.
I'm a Unix (tm) hacker by trade, so I know more about Unix compilers
than DOS.  A number of my students are using MicroSoft C 5.1 on their
PCs.  Can anyone out there share their experiences with me about this
compiler?  My students would like "real-world" info about which compiler
options to use, which to aviod, tricks of the loader, any bugs or
"pheatures" you've been bitten by, etc.  I (and they) would greatly
apprecaite any of the net.wisdom that any of you would share.

    Please mail to me, (mailers willing) and I'll summarize if there
is sufficient interest.

        Thanks in advance,

            brent laminack (gatech!itm!brent)

furlani@broadway.UUCP (John L. Furlani) (03/31/89)

In article <1287@itm.UUCP>, brent@itm.UUCP (Brent) writes:

>     Greetings!
>
> than DOS.  A number of my students are using MicroSoft C 5.1 on their
> PCs.  Can anyone out there share their experiences with me about this
> compiler?  My students would like "real-world" info about which compiler
> options to use, which to aviod, tricks of the loader, any bugs or
> "pheatures" you've been bitten by, etc.  I (and they) would greatly
> apprecaite any of the net.wisdom that any of you would share.
>
>             brent laminack (gatech!itm!brent)

Get the "Microsoft C Bible" put out by the Waite Group.  It has full
descriptions of ALL the 5.1 functions, with good examples for each one.
It also points out compatability of the function between UNIX, ANSI, Turbo,
MS 3.0, and MS 4.0.  There are good discussions and introductions to each
section of the book (which is broken up into groups of function types) that
can help get a summary and a idea of the functions in the section.  It
is not something to learn C by, but if you want a reference for Microsoft
C 5.1 (with tricks), there is nothing more complete (not even the
manuals provided).

Pensive:  "PS/2:  Yesterdays hardware today,
                      Todays software tomorrow..."
John L. Furlani
The University of South Carolina, Columbia SC
(...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!broadway!furlani)