[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Requesting info on Mountain backup tape

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (03/30/89)

I'm planning purchase of a tape backup system for my 386 clone.
The unit that looks like the best fit at the best price is
the Mountain 40 Mbyte internal unit.  However, I know nothing
about it.

Could any readers that have used this  unit, please share
your experiences with me?
Many thanks.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (03/31/89)

In article <190@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>I'm planning purchase of a tape backup system for my 386 clone.
>The unit that looks like the best fit at the best price is
>the Mountain 40 Mbyte internal unit.  However, I know nothing
>about it.

we have several on Compaq 386 & PS/2's.  Appear to work well.  Only things
that I do not like are:

1) it can take up to 40 minutes to Format a tape (Saw in PC Weak that they
have a new controller that can format as it writes - that would be more
convenient).

2) I would like, on occasion to be able to write to it as a DOS device, rather
than just doing a disk backup.  I am unaware of any DOS device driver to make
this possible.

the tapes appear to be interchangeble between systems and the software is
reasonable for what it does

-phil
--
J. Philip Miller - Div of Biostat - Washington Univ Medical School