[net.general] Call for action on an Alternative to the Nuclear Dilemma

raynor@orca.UUCP (Raynor Christianson) (12/13/85)

		A CALL TO END THE THREAT OF WAR

  Six world leaders have come together to form the FIVE CONTINENT PEACE
INITIATIVE to break the nuclear deadlock gripping the world and seek "the
right to live, for ourselves and for future generations."

  This Initiative, a cooperative effort to achieve worldwide movement toward
general and complete disarmament, is led by President Raul Alfonsin of
Argentina, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi of India, President Miguel de la Madrid
of Mexico, President Julius Nyerere of Tanzania, Prime Minister Olof Palme
of Sweden and Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou of Greece.

  The leaders of these six countries first launched their initiative in May,
1984, by issuing a Joint Declaration calling for a nuclear freeze, movement
toward disarmament, and a strengthened United Nations.  They also declared
their intention to act as third party mediators between Moscow and Washington
in the search for common security for all.

  In January, 1985, in a continuation of their efforts, the six leaders met in
New Delhi, and issued the Delhi Declaration which urged the nuclear states to
immediately halt all nuclear testing and to conclude at an early date a nuclear
test ban.

  This statement has been endorsed by Pope John Paul II, the Secretary General
of the United Nations, over 125 members of the U.S. Congress, Physicians for
Social Responsibility and by 79 Nobel Laureates.

  We ask that you join us in this call to end the threat of war by endorsing
the principles of the Delhi Declaration:

  Forty years ago, when atomic bombs were blasted over Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
the human race became aware that it could destroy itself ...

  We find ourselves in this situation because the nuclear weapon states have
applied traditional doctrines of war in a world where new weapons have made them
obsolete.  What is the point of nuclear "superiority" or "balance" when each
side already has enough weapons to devastate the earth dozens of times over?
If the old doctrines are applied in the future, the holocaust will be
inescapable sooner or later.  But nuclear war can be prevented if our voices
are joined in a universal demand in defense of our right to live.

  It is imperative to find a remedy to the existing situation where hundreds
of billions of dollars, amounting to approximately one and one half million
per minute, are spent annually on weapons.  This stands in dramatic contrast
to the poverty, and in some cases misery, in which two-thirds of the world
population lives.

  We urge people, parliaments and governments the world over to lend forceful
support to this appeal ... Only then will governments summon the necessary
political will to overcome the many obstacles which lie in the path of peace.

  For centuries, men and women have fought for their rights and freedoms.  We
now face the greatest struggle of all - for the right to live, for ourselves
and for future generations.

  In honor of the principles affirmed in the Delhi Declaration, The Beyond
War Foundation will award its 1985 Beyond War Award to the Five Continent
Peace Initiative.  The Beyond War Award was established to honor the great
efforts of humankind as it moves to build a world beyond war.

  In 1983 the Beyond War Award was presented to the National Conference of
Catholic Bishops for their pastoral letter, "The Challenge of Peace: God's
Promise and Our Response."

  In 1984 the Award was presented to the International Physicians for the
Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW).  The IPPNW recently received the 1985
Nobel Peace Prize for their work to preserve life by preventing the nuclear
holocaust.

  The Beyond War Foundation, the sponsor of the award, is a grass roots
educational movement whose goal is to change the way people think about war
and the use of violence.  Beyond War is convinced that a change in the way
we think about war and consequently the way we act is possible.

  We invite you to share in this process by endorsing the principles of the
Delhi Declaration.  On December 14, 1985 the Beyond War Award will be presented
simultaneously to the six heads of states in a global spacebridge--a live
global teleconference enabling the people from across the world to join
together in a call to end the threat of war.

  At the Beyond War Ceremony, we wish to present ONE MILLION SIGNATURES
endorsing the principles of the Delhi Declaration issued by the Five
Continent Peace Initiative.  This event is an opportunity for the people
of this nation to voice support for this courageous and historic call to
end all war.

  We seek your participation not as a member of any group, but simply as
a citizen of the planet.  We, the people, are responding to the call of
the world leaders, and we will continue to respond until we have built a
world beyond war.

  You may participate in three ways:

	-- Send a letter of your support with your signature to:
		Beyond War
		222 High Street
		Palo Alto, California 94301
		USA
	-- Donate funds to defray the expenses of this process to the
	     above address.

	--Watch the Beyond War Award Ceremony on December 14, 1985.
	   Check your local listings for time and station or contact
	     the above address for information in your area.

	Let us raise our voices together in a call to end war.

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (12/13/85)

In article <1957@orca.UUCP> raynor@orca.UUCP (Raynor Christianson) writes:

>  We urge people, parliaments and governments the world over to lend forceful
>support to this appeal ... Only then will governments summon the necessary
>political will to overcome the many obstacles which lie in the path of peace.

I don't want to point out the obvious, but this approach only works in one
of the "big three" nuclear powers.  Countries like the Soviet Union do not
have "parliaments", do not listen to "the people", and have neither the need
nor the desire to "summon the necessary political will".  This is a naive
approach to solving the serious threat of nuclear war.

In any case, this does *not* belong in net.general!  Net.politics, perhaps.
Net.general should *not* be used for political statements.

>	-- Send a letter of your support with your signature to: ...
>
>	-- Donate funds to defray the expenses of this process to the
>	     above address.

... or political fundraising.

>	--Watch the Beyond War Award Ceremony on December 14, 1985.
>	   Check your local listings for time and station or contact
>	     the above address for information in your area.

... or television commercials.

ghost@psuvax1.UUCP (Anonymous) (12/18/85)

>               A CALL TO END THE THREAT OF WAR
>
>   This statement has been endorsed by Pope John Paul II, the Secretary General
> of the United Nations, over 125 members of the U.S. Congress, Physicians for
> Social Responsibility and by 79 Nobel Laureates.
>
>   We ask that you join us in this call to end the threat of war by endorsing
> the principles of the Delhi Declaration:
>
>   It is imperative to find a remedy to the existing situation where hundreds
>
>       Let us raise our voices together in a call to end war.

     Only very naive people can think that any group of people (including the
Pope, Congressman, Physicians, ...) can end war by raising their voices.  As
long as there is disagreement among the nations that have the power to destroy
each other, it is in the best interests of each of these nations (and others)
to do whatever possible to protect themselves.  This protection, in the form
of developing the nation's defense, seems ironic to some but makes plain sense
to others who are driven by intellect (as opposed to emotions).  Nobody wants
a nuclear war, but, as long as there are nuclear weopons pointed at us, let's
give the people whose finger is on the trigger a reason for not firing the
first shot!

     Also, this political campaign is surely misuse of the net (or at least
net.general), but some people don't consider the *means* when the have an
*end* to accomplish.

From postnews Tue Dec 17 15:13:09 1985
Subject: Re: Call for action on an Alternative to the Nuclear Dilemma
Newsgroups: net.followup