[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is Steve Ciarcia gone from BYTE?

miket@bnrmtv.UUCP (Michael Thompson) (03/30/89)

Greetings,

I noticed that Steve Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar column is now gone
from BYTE magazine.  Does anyone know why he is no longer with
BYTE as of 1989?  I hope he is off on a long vacation or
something.  This is only my opinion, but I thought that his
series of hardware (some software projects) for computers really
help distinguish BYTE from other IBM magazines such as PC WORLD.
The information he presented was of a much higher caliber than most
of the other regular contributing writers.  I can see how BYTE may
have wanted to focus its contents on software, but now it seems to
be like all the rest of the general purpose computer magazines.
Too many useless opinions on which 386 system is faster or which
spreadsheet has more features.  There doesn't seem to be as many
articles on the latest hardware and software techniques which a
technical person can use or experiment with.  Perhaps I read BYTE
for the wrong reasons, but I like a hands on approach to computers
because it makes the whole field less dry and more interesting.
I know that they have lost one reader because of this as I have let
my subscription run out.

I didn't mean for this posting to be an attack on BYTE and I don't
want to start a whole flood of articles on why everyone thinks BYTE
stinks.  I am sure that many people still fine BYTE interesting
and useful, it just doesn't fit my needs anymore.  I am just hoping
to get feedback on why Ciarcia is no longer with BYTE and some
opinions on the reason for the shift in focus in the last 18 months.
Is he now with another publication?  I am sorry if this has already
been discussed here.

Mike Thompson

Disclaimer:  Because of the nature of this posting, I have to stress
that these opinions are mine and only mine.  They in no way reflect
the opinions of my employer.

Michael P. Thompson                                Bell Northern Research
Member Scientific Staff                          685A E. Middlefield Road
(415) 940-2575                                          Mountain View, CA
amdahl!bnrmtv!miket                                            94039-7277

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (03/30/89)

In article <5170@bnrmtv.UUCP> miket@bnrmtv.UUCP (Michael Thompson) writes:
>I noticed that Steve Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar column is now gone
>from BYTE magazine.  Does anyone know why he is no longer with
>BYTE as of 1989?  I hope he is off on a long vacation or
>something.  This is only my opinion, but I thought that his
>series of hardware (some software projects) for computers really
>help distinguish BYTE from other IBM magazines such as PC WORLD.

Yes, he's gone.  He has his own magazine now, Circuit Cellar Ink,
which carries his projects, I suppose in conjunction with MicroMint,
which used to be his chief supplier of kits to the hobbyist market.

You're right, the general-interest features that used to distinguish
BYTE from the competition are drying up fast.  I don't know whether
this is due to the fact that the large majority of micro users are
only interested in how to get their off-the-shelf applications to work
faster and have no real interest in 'what's under the hood' these days,
or that McGraw Hill figures it's not worth the space anymore.  These
days, by and large, you don't really HAVE to homebrew something to get
a good graphics unit, etc., as long as you want it for a PC :-(.

Time for someone to post the address to Micro Cornucopia again.  This
magazine seems to be one of the last refuges of the hardware tinkerer.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "Well, if it wasn't Buckaroo Banzai, I'd say 'commit the man.'"
		 - where else?

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/31/89)

In article <5170@bnrmtv.UUCP> miket@bnrmtv.UUCP (Michael Thompson) writes:

| I noticed that Steve Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar column is now gone
| from BYTE magazine.  Does anyone know why he is no longer with
| BYTE as of 1989?  I hope he is off on a long vacation or

  Steve is putting out his own magazine now, called _Circuit Celler_.
	Circuit Cellar INK
	Subscriptions
	Box 3378
	Wallington CT 06494

	BBS: 203-871-1988

Now you know. Oh, yeah: $14.95/year
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/31/89)

In article <7968@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.UUCP (Robert Halloran) writes:

>Time for someone to post the address to Micro Cornucopia again.  This
>magazine seems to be one of the last refuges of the hardware tinkerer.

That's the reason that I have let my subscription to Byte and
Dr. Dobbs expire.  These, and all other publications that appeal
solely to "PC twinkies" are useless to me.

This is the address for Micro Cornucopia, if anyone is interested:

	Micro Cornucopia
	P.O. Box 223
	Bend, OR 97709-9982

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (03/31/89)

Slight address correction:

Wallingford, CT 06492 (*)

* This is right out of my CT yellow pages.  I could not find an entry for the
  06494 zip.

--
Ed Tankus.
Net  :       {uunet,noao,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (04/04/89)

In article <372@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> tankus@hsi86.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:
| Slight address correction:
|
| Wallingford, CT 06492 (*)
|
| * This is right out of my CT yellow pages.  I could not find an entry for the
|   06494 zip.

  The original address I posted (06494) is taken from _Circuit Cellar_
magazine. I have since verified that they still publish that ZIP.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)