[comp.sys.ibm.pc] GIFs, Ventura, etc.

sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) (04/06/89)

In the main, digitised pictures which i take off the USC BBS are GIF
files.  Any ideas on what i could do with these pictures (some of them
in really high resolution) in Ventura?  What are the programs which
work with Ventura on graphics, and could one convert GIFs to one of
these if not directly usable?  If there is no standard PD program to
do the conversion, is it very hard to write one?  (a thousand lines of
Turbo Pascal a night!)

What exactly is the IMG format used by Ventura?

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

ajay shah (213)745-2923 or sawant@nunki.usc.edu

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/06/89)

In article <3403@nunki.usc.edu>, sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) writes:

> In the main, digitised pictures which i take off the USC BBS are GIF
> files.  Any ideas on what i could do with these pictures (some of them
> in really high resolution) in Ventura?  What are the programs which
> work with Ventura on graphics, and could one convert GIFs to one of
> these if not directly usable?

A shareware program called EASEL will convert .gif to .pcx (paintbrush)
format... as well as several others... the drawback is EASEL requires
MS Windows... if you have paintbrusch you could also load FRIEZE and
then view your .gif with some gif viewer and hit print-screen to activate
frieze, and s to save the picture in .pcx format.

> What exactly is the IMG format used by Ventura?

.img is the GEM raster format as used by GEM PAINT... if your serious about
Ventura you may want to acquire a copy of GEM and GEM PAINT or GEM DRAW
to work with... I find they are excellent programs.... if you hunt around
conputer shows or have a used software store in your area you might be
able to find GEM 1.1, which is GEM before Apple's quasi-legal harassment
forced DRI to change GEM into the horrible interface it is today... oh well
so much for free enterprise!

Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center