[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Device Drivers Revisited

davis@udel.EDU (Michael Davis) (04/04/89)

This is a reposting of a question I have. I also have had over
a dozen requests for the info when I get it, so if anyone knows
the answer, don't be shy to post it or reply back.

I have a Wang PC (100% compatible) that uses over 180K of device
drivers to hook up to a Wang VS system printer and E-mail. The
user want to use Ventura Publisher which uses more than 512K and
won't start with the drivers installed.

QUESTION:

	Is there a way or a PD prog. that will move the drivers
to EMS to allow most of the 640K base to be free?

Any help will be great.

Mike Davis

mpcook@chinet.chi.il.us (Michael P. Cook) (04/05/89)

<
<QUESTION:
<
<        Is there a way or a PD prog. that will move the drivers
<to EMS to allow most of the 640K base to be free?
<
<Any help will be great.
<
<Mike Davis

I just read an article in this week's PC WEEK about a small firm in
Santa Ana Calif, Above Software, that is developing a software product
to do just that, place device drivers above 640K.  You might want to
get a hold of the article as several other vendors were mentioned.

-- Mike
Mike Cook                                              Oak Park IL USA
usenet address:                                mpcook@chinet.chi.il.us
SYSOP of DISCOVERY PLACE BBS  -  Educational Software, Kids, Parenting
312-383-6335  (No Fee Required)          24 hrs/day 8N1 3/12/2400 baud

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (04/07/89)

In article <12267@louie.udel.EDU> davis@udel.EDU (Michael Davis) writes:
>This is a reposting of a question I have. I also have had over
>a dozen requests for the info when I get it, so if anyone knows
>the answer, don't be shy to post it or reply back.
>
>I have a Wang PC (100% compatible) that uses over 180K of device
>drivers to hook up to a Wang VS system printer and E-mail. The
>user want to use Ventura Publisher which uses more than 512K and
>won't start with the drivers installed.
>
>QUESTION:
>
>	Is there a way or a PD prog. that will move the drivers
>to EMS to allow most of the 640K base to be free?
>
>Any help will be great.
>
>Mike Davis

You might want to try BOOTAS.ARC.  I got this from a local BBS.  It allows
me to configure 2, 3, 4,....n different CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files.
When I want to run a program that requires a special configuration, I
just type BOOTAS xxxxxx, where xxxxxx specifies which group of boot files
I want to use.  This is really just a .BAT file that copies the desired
CONFIG.xxx and AUTOEXEC.xxx to CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT.  After the copy
is finished, it executes a program called BOOT.COM which then forces a
system reboot, loading the new configuration.

Hey, like Hunter says, "It works for me!".

		Bob Bailey