[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSWindows and Modems.

rra90329@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/29/89)

Hi! I've got a strange problem, and after about two hours of playing with dip-
switches, I realized I'm stuck.

I'm running Windows 2.01, a Logitech 3-button serial ouse, and the Telix
shareware telecom program with a Zuckerboard 1200 baud modem. Windows works with
the mouse set as COM1 (the only choice with mt stupid serial board). The modem
works fine set as COM3, but not as COM2.?!

The only clue I have is that the documentation that came with the Computer and
Serial board (A Turbo Laser XT:The Same thing they now sell at Sears) is that
one can add a second serial port with additional hardware, ,and there is a dip-
switch to enable or disable COM2. But with the either choice, Telix dies at the
'initalizing the modem' stage, even though the bios and a diagnostig program I
have both report 2 com ports at the correct addresses.

Fine, I thought, I'll set up the Modem as COM3. Everything works, BUT...
when I go back to Windows after telcomming, there is no mouse. The only whay to
fix this is to either 1)load mouse.com, the driver, which I should NOT need for
Windows and will cause Telix to die next time, or 2)warm reboot.

Why?!?!?!? Even better, what can I do?!?!?

I'm sorry this is so complicated, but I wanted to include everything that might
be relevant. Any good guesses will be more than welcome.

First God made man, then he made computers. After that..
ra446@suna0.cs.uiuc.edu

sac585@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (03/30/89)

COM1: and COM3: often share the same I/O port addresses and IRQ levels. Try
setting up your modem as COM4:.

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (03/30/89)

>First God made man, then he made computers. After that..
>ra446@suna0.cs.uiuc.edu

Or,
First God made man, then man made computers, then,
computers made man God(-like).

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (04/01/89)

From article <640007@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, by rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim):
>>First God made man, then he made computers. After that..
>>ra446@suna0.cs.uiuc.edu
>
> Or,
> First God made man, then man made computers, then,
> computers made man God(-like).

How about:
First God made man, then man made computers, then God said, "See I told
you I could do it better".

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

orn@rsp.is (Orn E. Hansen) (04/08/89)

In article <111700056@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, rra90329@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I'm running Windows 2.01, a Logitech 3-button serial ouse, and the Telix
> shareware telecom program with a Zuckerboard 1200 baud modem. Windows works with
> the mouse set as COM1 (the only choice with mt stupid serial board). The modem
> works fine set as COM3, but not as COM2.?!

My guess is that you are experiencing a conflict of interrupts between COM1
and COM2.  The external serial board may address it's COM port as COM2, but
might use the interrupt vector for COM1!.  The IRQ line for COM2 is IRQ 3
and IRQ 4 for COM1.