[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Small C for IBM PC?

marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (03/23/89)

From article <15990@oberon.USC.EDU>, posted to comp.os.cpm
	by mlinar@eve.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar):
> In article <8903201146.AA00867@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> PC3@IB.RL.AC.UK (Paul Clayson) writes:
>>Does anybody use Small C? I'm using the CP/M version .....
>
> Yep, the documentation is quite clear in what it has as well as what it
> is missing.  Items *NOT* supported in SmallC v1.2 are:
	[list deleted]

> For a free compiler and a learning tool (you get the source code), it
> is pretty decent.

It sounds like a system for the IBM PC I got from a shareware
distributor.  But the IBM PC version I got came with sample C source
programs that would never compile in Small C, and at the end it asked
for a $40 fee to use it.  For $40 I'd sooner double the ante and get
Turbo C.  Is there a free IBM version, or is it only free for CP/M?

Please don't tell me SIMTEL, AT&T won't talk to SIMTEL.  First I want
to know whether it exists.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

jerry@donk.UUCP (jerry) (03/24/89)

In article <1294@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:

>It sounds like a system for the IBM PC I got from a shareware
>distributor.  But the IBM PC version I got came with sample C source
>programs that would never compile in Small C, and at the end it asked
>for a $40 fee to use it.  For $40 I'd sooner double the ante and get
>Turbo C.  Is there a free IBM version, or is it only free for CP/M?
>
>Please don't tell me SIMTEL, AT&T won't talk to SIMTEL.  First I want
>to know whether it exists.
>
>M. B. Brilliant					Marty
>AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
>Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty
>
>Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
>            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

There is a PD small-c for the IBM PC. I believe it is based on Jim Hendrix's
version for CP/M. I pulled both executable and full source from BYTE magazines
bulletin board about a year ago. I have been able to re-compile the source code
using the executable.

                                     Jerry Gaiser
                                     Intel Corporation
                                     Development Tools Organization

* Intel may own me body and soul, but these opinions are MINE. So there.  *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* jerry@orion1.hf.intel.com         You can find me either here or        *
* jerryg@bucket                     there                                 *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock. *

marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (03/24/89)

From article <276@donk.UUCP>, by jerry@donk.UUCP (jerry):
> In article <1294@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>.... the IBM PC version I got .... asked for a $40 fee to use it....
>
> There is a PD small-c for the IBM PC. I believe it is based on Jim Hendrix's
> version for CP/M....

Jim Hendrix has his name on my version, and he wants $20 as a user fee
(not $40, I was thinking of something else).

Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
money for Small-C?  If he has a copyright on it, any version based on
it (for any operating system) would have to be released by him to be in
the public domain.  Did he do that?  If so, my documentation is
obsolete (even though it was on a disk I bought only a few months ago).

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/27/89)

I have the latest Small-C from J. Hendrix.  As I read the copyright
notice and redistribution restrictions, here is my understanding:
(read it yourself to reach your conclusions, but it all seems
pretty clear to me)

The Small-C modified and authored by J. Hendrix is copyrighted by him.
The software can be given away, but not sold.  There are no royalty
or use restrictions on its output (executables generated).  The intent
seems to be to share the software source code freely, but strictly for
free, while programmers are unhindered in using the generated binaries
as they see fit.

J. Hendrix encourages registration of holders of the source code.  This
costs a small fee for which the registered holder of the source code
will be placed on a mailing list and notified of new versions and
updates, though no maintenance support service is implied here.  This
arrangement seems reasonable as there is some cost associated with
mailing lists and notifications of updates, and the registration fee
is small.  Registration certainly appears to an option, that is, it is
not a license fee in payment for a right to use the software, but a
registration fee for a specific, though limited, service.

I am not going to claim that this is correct according to the intentions
and will of J. Hendrix, but that is my personal understanding after
reading through the relevant words in the source code in my possession.

Let me point out that J. Hendrix has a pretty nice book about Small-c
titled "A Small C Compiler: Language, Usage, Theory, and Design."
You can get with it either the CP/M or the MSDOS Small-C source code
and registration is automatic.  I recommend the book to those who
want to use or just play with Small-C.

ward@cfa.harvard.edu

keithm@wicat.UUCP (Keith McQueen) (03/28/89)

In article <1450@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:

    [much stuff deleted]

>Let me point out that J. Hendrix has a pretty nice book about Small-c
>titled "A Small C Compiler: Language, Usage, Theory, and Design."
>You can get with it either the CP/M or the MSDOS Small-C source code
>and registration is automatic.  I recommend the book to those who
>want to use or just play with Small-C.
>
>ward@cfa.harvard.edu

Could you please post the ISBN number of the book (especially the MSDOS
version...) so that I could order it through my local bookstore?

Thank you!

Keith McQueen
Wicat Systems, Inc.
Orem, Utah

mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson) (03/31/89)

In article <1302@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
				    ^^^^^^^???
>money for Small-C?  If he has a copyright on it, any version based on

...Why do I have the funny feeling that maybe you'll never find this guy?

-Mitch

--
Mitch Hendrickson
mhendric@jarthur.claremont.edu  OR  mhendric@jarthur.uucp  OR

rwberry@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert W Berry) (04/01/89)

From article <645@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson):
> In article <1302@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
> 				    ^^^^^^^???
> ...Why do I have the funny feeling that maybe you'll never find this guy?

     Jim Hendrix lives in Oxford, MS.  (At least he did a year or so ago
when I worked on the small C compiler as a class project.)  I don't have
his current address, but the computer center there would have it for
sure.  You can try to have them forward it (I'm sure they're going to
love having a bunch of mail for him now ;-)!) by sending it to:

		Jim Hendrix
		% Computer Center
		University of Mississippi
		University, MS  38677

     When I was working on the compiler as a project, we got new
versions of the code almost weekly.  I could send you what I have, but
I'm sure it's outdated by several versions.

> -Mitch
>
> --
> Mitch Hendrickson
> mhendric@jarthur.claremont.edu  OR  mhendric@jarthur.uucp  OR
> uunet!jarthur!mhendric OR MHENDRICKOSN@HMCVAX (bitnet)
> USnail:  Platt Campus Center, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA  91711
     Hope this helps.
     Bob

-=- Bob Berry -=- PC-Guru's Inc.         ! rwberry@hubcap.clemson.edu   -=-
-=- We are the science of modern motion. ! 803-654-7623 || 803-656-2635 -=-

scott@hpcvca.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (04/02/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc / mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson) / 12:26 am  Mar 31, 1989 /
In article <1302@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
				    ^^^^^^^???
>>money for Small-C?  If he has a copyright on it, any version based on

>...Why do I have the funny feeling that maybe you'll never find this guy?

>-Mitch

>--
>Mitch Hendrickson
>mhendric@jarthur.claremont.edu  OR  mhendric@jarthur.uucp  OR
>uunet!jarthur!mhendric OR MHENDRICKOSN@HMCVAX (bitnet)
>USnail:  Platt Campus Center, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA  91711
>----------

I think I know what you're thinking, but I believe that is the guy's
name...

Scott Linn

pcm@iwarpj.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (04/02/89)

In article <645@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mhendric@jarthur.UUCP (Mitch Hendrickson) writes:
>In article <1302@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
				     ^^^^^^^???
>>money for Small-C?

>...Why do I have the funny feeling that maybe you'll never find this guy?

heh, heh.

Yes, Jim (not JIMI) Hendrix is his real name.

Chances are he's still with us.

>-Mitch
>
>--
>Mitch Hendrickson

Phil Miller

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/08/89)

As quoted from <4975@hubcap.clemson.edu> by rwberry@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert W Berry):
+---------------
| From article <645@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson):
| > In article <1302@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
| >>Now, does anybody know whether Jim Hendrix actually stopped asking for
| > ...Why do I have the funny feeling that maybe you'll never find this guy?
| >
|      Jim Hendrix lives in Oxford, MS.  (At least he did a year or so ago

There is nothing worse than a joke which goes flat...

...he's referring (jokingly, I assume) to Jimi Hendrix, of course.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu