[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PLEASE!! copy of Borland BGI format posting NEEDED!!

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (04/04/89)

If anyone, or the author, could please E-mail me, or repost
the article on reverse engineering the Borland BGI interface.
I would be eternally grateful, I will post any new device drivers
I create with it.

Initially I need one to drive the Paradise VGA + 16 board, but I may do
others.

	Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (04/08/89)

In article <755@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
<If anyone, or the author, could please E-mail me, or repost
<the article on reverse engineering the Borland BGI interface.
<I would be eternally grateful, I will post any new device drivers
<I create with it.

I have it on good authority that the BGI format description will be
posted on CIS by the end of this month...
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

lee@minnow.sp.unisys.com (Gene Lee) (04/09/89)

In article <1342@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>In article <755@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
><If anyone, or the author, could please E-mail me, or repost
><the article on reverse engineering the Borland BGI interface.
><I would be eternally grateful, I will post any new device drivers
><I create with it.

A while back someone posted an article which gave the skeleton of a BGI
driver.  I used this skeleton along with a book called "Graphics Programming
in Turbo C 2.0" and have successfully created a BGI driver for the following
modes

 320x200 256 colors  and 640x400 256 colors

The only thing I can't figure out is how to handle requests to print in the
default font ( any other font will work )

At this point I can run the whole Borland supplied BGIDEMO program if I change
it to use fonts other the DEFAULT_FONT.  When I get the whole thing working
and polished (or I give up) I will post it.

An interesting foot note is that when I called Borland and asked about
the book I found out the information was printed without permission and
they seemed really touchy about the whole subject.

One more thing.  If you get the book it won't do you  much good without
the BGI skeleton that was posted a while back.  Plus there are a couple of
errors in the book that will keep the whole thing from working.
(In order to understand the following, you must have the book and the
 skeleton)

1. There is another vector between TEXTSIZ and FLOODFILL, the book forgot
   it.  I don't know what it does but it must be there and and it needs
   to point to NOP_01

2. The  SETBITMAP/RESTOREBITMAP input variables are not what the book claims.
  I don't remember what they really are right off hand.

I CONCLUSION, EVEN WITH THE BOOK AND THE SKELETON, FIGURING IT ALL OUT IS
FFFAAAAAAAARRRRR FROM EASY.  I'VE SPENT HUNDREDS OF HOURS MAKING IT WORK
(HALF THAT WAS REBOOTING AFTER IT HUNG THE SYSTEM).  BORLAND HAS REALLY
PISSED ME OFF BY NOT RELEASING THE INFORMATION VOLENTARILY.  I AM LOOKING
FORWARD TO GIVING OUT MY EXAMPLE.  WITH IT, YOU CAN MODIFY IT TO WORK
FOR ANY GRAPHICS  MODE YOU DESIRE FAIRLY EASILY.

sorry I rambled.
--
Gene Lee               UUCP: ...!amdahl!ems!minnow!lee
Unisys Corporation