[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386^MAX

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/27/89)

In article alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan Rovner) writes:

>I've been using 386 to the Max and 386load for a couple months now and
>would recommend them to any 386 users.  So far I have my mouse driver,
>Ramdisk driver, disk cache programsand other goodies out of base memory
>giving me almost 600K of free base memory.  Everything seems to work fine
>and I enjoy the extra space.

I have a SCSI drive and have had less than magnificent luck getting 386^MAX
to cooperate with either a WD7000ASC SCSI controller card or with an Adaptec
AHA-1540 SCSI controller card.  If I boot up from a floppy that contains the
config.sys (and the drivers it loads) and an autoexec.bat that subsequently
transfers to the hard disk, I can get 386^MAX to work, mostly.  Occasionally
my machine (an Intel 301-based 386AT) will simply stop, requiring either a
soft or hard reboot.  There are some other complicating factors, including
the desire to have PCTools desktop loaded resident.

All in all I'd like to have a SCSI drive work with 386^MAX because I want to
load the PC-NFS drivers and PCTools desktop into high DOS memory (640k-1M
range) and run the MKS Toolkit init/login system.  In a word: hah!  The most
troublesome of which is the MKS Toolkit initialization scheme, which I'll
have to abandon if I keep up with all this.  And because the PCTools Desktop
"loads big" and then releases (sort of) the memory it wanted both 386^MAX
and MKS Toolkit break when they try to load it resident.

And just for grins, I really want to fold VM/386 into all this; I' _like_
to run the networking in one virtual machine, MKS in another, and maybe
PCTools stuff in another.  But VM/386 uses a special driver to share the
hard disk among the virtual machines which doesn't cooperate with PC-NFS's
remote file system.  Aaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Any of the special add-ins work if they're used singularly; two or more
are problematic; three require some real work; and four means you're
porbably going to have to give up something to get them all to work
together, if they work at all.

kEITHe

marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) (03/29/89)

What about using 386load &&/|| 386^max with smartdrv and himem.sys?

What happens if your computer swaps the bios out to ram? (on mine I can turn
this feature off...)

marco
marco@hmpcaa

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/11/89)

In article <128056@neabbs.UUCP> datagoer@neabbs.UUCP (HAN CUPERUS) writes:
<I will think you should buy the program "386 MAX" from th company
<Qualitas Inc. , P.O.Box 386 , Cabin John , MD 20818 , fax: (301)
<496-5810 for the price of $129.95 total.
<This program is placing ALL resident programs into the 1MB expanded
<memory , included the DOS or other operating system drivers , so you
<can endly use your expanded memory properly.

Be sure to order the "professional" version (I think it is) or
you'll have to order 386LOAD as a separate item to load config.sys-
installed drivers.

kEITHe