[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question Re: 386 memory

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) (04/06/89)

I have a 386 AT clone with a MICRONICS 20 Mhz board and 1 MB of RAM.
I tried to access the 384k of expanded? memory it is supposed to
have, but without any success.  No version of RAMdisk drivers
recognized that I had any expanded or extended memory.

Programs that check how much extended/expanded memory computers have
show 0 expanded and 0 extended memory.
I am sure, though, that the computer does have 1 MB on board (I counted
the chips).

How the hell can I use this RAM?

Does anyone know?

Max.

lilley@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Lilley) (04/07/89)

In article <22590@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:

>I have a 386 AT clone with a MICRONICS 20 Mhz board and 1 MB of RAM.
>I tried to access the 384k of expanded? memory it is supposed to
>have, but without any success.

I have a Micronics 386/20Mhz board with 2MB RAM, and use most of the extra
for expanded memory.  You should have received a driver called
"micemm2c.sys" with your board.  This is a driver that runs in priveledged mode
uses the 386 page-mapping facilites to "emulate" expanded memory.
You need to put a line iyour config.sys file like:

	device=micemm2c.sys 0 (384)

In order to use this memory.

--john lilley

datagoer@neabbs.UUCP (HAN CUPERUS) (04/07/89)

I will think you should buy the program "386 MAX" from th company
Qualitas Inc. , P.O.Box 386 , Cabin John , MD 20818 , fax: (301)
496-5810 for the price of $129.95 total.
This program is placing ALL resident programs into the 1MB expanded
memory , included the DOS or other operating system drivers , so you
can endly use your expanded memory properly.
Greetings Han Cuperus.

alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan Rovner) (04/08/89)

In article <7967@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, lilley@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Lilley) writes:
> In article <22590@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
> >
> >I have a 386 AT clone with a MICRONICS 20 Mhz board and 1 MB of RAM.
> >I tried to access the 384k of expanded? memory it is supposed to
> >have, but without any success.

I have the same mother board and do have access to the 384K using the
program 386max.  The reason you can't access it directly is something
like this 384K of memory is located way up at the upper most part of
the address space and is essentially invisible to most other drivers.

386max lets you use it as your choice of extended/expanded memory.

Al Rovner,
Tektronix Inc.
Vancouver, Wash.

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/08/89)

In article <22590@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>I have a 386 AT clone with a MICRONICS 20 Mhz board and 1 MB of RAM.
>I tried to access the 384k of expanded? memory it is supposed to
>have, but without any success.  No version of RAMdisk drivers
>recognized that I had any expanded or extended memory.
>
>Programs that check how much extended/expanded memory computers have
>show 0 expanded and 0 extended memory.
>I am sure, though, that the computer does have 1 MB on board (I counted
>the chips).

   Hmm ... it sounds to me like the memory is supposed to be used as expanded
(as in Lotus/Intel/Microsoft) memory; if it was extended, it would in all
likelihood have appeared as such when your programs tried to find it.

   If it _is_ supposed to be expanded memory, you need an EMS driver installed
to access it.  This driver may have been provided with the computer; its
filename should say EMS somewhere in it and it is likely of type .BIN or
.SYS.  It has to be included in your CONFIG.SYS file; you'll probably need
a manual for your motherboard for this, though, as it likely needs some
parameters passed to it.

   Good luck!  I hope somebody who's familiar with your specific motherboard
posts a somewhat more definitive reply.
! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! This space left unintentionally blank - vi ! I'm only an undergrad !

jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V) (04/11/89)

--------

	I have the older version of micemm.. micemm2b.sys, could someone
please post me their address where I could mail them a disk to get
micemm2c.sys?  I use the 2b version in windows in debug mode and and get
"MICEMM ERROR / UNDEFINED FUNCTION CALL" when the title screen is displayed,
and of course I cannot use the extra memory inside windows.

	Or possibly someone can give me the address where I can write the
people who wrote this program?  I looked in my documentation, and I cannot find
it.

	Please respond direct to my mbox, our news feed is dying a painful
death, also (Gad, I hate to ask) please include US mailing address.

John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu                 |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13  |--/|-------/|------------
Last Chance: ut-sally!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13         |  \/       \/
GEnie: J.JOUBERT