[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Recommendations on 24-pin printers

button@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick Button) (04/07/89)

     I'm currently looking in the market for a low-end 24-pin printer.
I'm not looking for anything particularly fancy - just good letter
quality print, a couple of convenience features, not too noisy and an
average print speed.  I figure I can spend around $300.  My current
considerations are:

     1.  ALPS Allegro 24
     2.  Epson LQ-500
     3.  Panasonic KX-P1124
     4.  Star Micronics NX-2400

      I'm currently leaning towards the Panasonic because of its paper
handling features and its relatively good print and speed.  I would
appreciate it if anyone could give me advice on this (especially owners
of those printers) or any other models I should consider or avoid.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Button
button@gamma.eecs.nwu.edu

thomas-m@hockey.cis.ohio-state.edu (Malcolm Thomas) (04/11/89)

In article <3580011@eecs.nwu.edu> button@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick Button) writes:

>     I'm currently looking in the market for a low-end 24-pin printer.
>average print speed.  I figure I can spend around $300.  My current
>considerations are:
>
>     1.  ALPS Allegro 24
>     2.  Epson LQ-500
>     3.  Panasonic KX-P1124
>     4.  Star Micronics NX-2400
>
>      I'm currently leaning towards the Panasonic because of its paper
>handling features and its relatively good print and speed.  I would

If you lean towards the Panasonic for its speed,  You'll gravitate and
get sucked in by the Okidata for its comparable "warp-speed" mode.

NOTE: I have recently bought a Panasonic 1180 (over the comparable but
faster Okidata).  More features you know.  And the fonts are excellent
even when not considering that it's a 9-pin.

thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu	| "Start of witty saying...
Dept of Cptr/Inf Sci, CAE 239	|     ...witty saying...
Ohio-State-U, Columbus, OH 43210|          ...end of witty saying."