[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard disk copy

bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) (03/30/89)

Would someone(s) please advise me of what is available, both in freeware,
and purchasable, that would help to copy a harddisk to another harddisk.
It can be either some 'fastcopy' to diskett, and diskett 'fastcopy'
to harddisk.  Or, a package and cable to plug the two PCs together,
run the program and replicate one harddisk from another.
(Hey, DOS copy to diskett would take a day
 on a loaded hard disk)
Much thanx in advance.
Bill King

mail to: bill@uhccux.bitnet
     or bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (03/31/89)

egon@impch.UUCP (Lukas Knobloch) (04/06/89)

In article <3617@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) writes:
>and purchasable, that would help to copy a harddisk to another harddisk.
>It can be either some 'fastcopy' to diskett, and diskett 'fastcopy'
>to harddisk.  Or, a package and cable to plug the two PCs together,

Hi Folks
I've got the same problem.
Try do backing up my HD (71 Mb) with DiskCopy.com it means 'Wrong drive letter
or drive is a hard disk' or so....
Backing up with FASTBACK makes me really bored (Diskchange Diskchange Diskchange)
A HD to HD copy would be really nice

Please reply via E-Mail
Thanks for suggestions
Lukas

--

      Lukas Schmidt P.O.Box 262 CH-4102 Binningen 1   voice +4161392659
                              mail:egon@impch

astieber@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (04/09/89)

In article <880@impch.UUCP> egon@impch.UUCP (Lukas Knobloch) writes:
>In article <3617@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) writes:
>>and purchasable, that would help to copy a harddisk to another harddisk.
>
>Hi Folks
>Try do backing up my HD (71 Mb) with DiskCopy.com it means 'Wrong drive letter
>or drive is a hard disk' or so....
>Backing up with FASTBACK makes me really bored (Diskchange Diskchange Diskchange)
>A HD to HD copy would be really nice

If you have MS-DOS 3.2 or above you should be able to use xcopy.  With the
/S option it will copy subdirectories recursively.
--
Tony Stieber	astieber@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (04/09/89)

In article <880@impch.UUCP>, egon@impch.UUCP (Lukas Knobloch) writes:
> Try do backing up my HD (71 Mb) with DiskCopy.com
> it means 'Wrong drive letter
> or drive is a hard disk' or so....
> Backing up with FASTBACK makes me really bored
> (Diskchange Diskchange Diskchange)
> A HD to HD copy would be really nice

Try something like:
	xcopy c:\*.* d:\ /s /e
The /s copies directories and lower level directories unless
empty; the /e copies any subdirectories whether or not they
are empty (must use with /s switch to get this to work.
Paul Gomme        Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet      ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (04/12/89)

I do know of a program which allows you to copy HARD DRIVE TO HARD DRIVE.
This is part of Tecmar's QT software which comes with their tape backup
unit.

With this piece of software you can copy one HARD DRIVE to ANOTHER.
The target drive must have equal or more space then the source.
The program automatically remaps data from bad sectors on the target drive
onto an unused good sector.  The program makes an identical copy ... all
the file protection bits are preserved and hidden files are also copied.

Once again, this piece of software comes with Tecmar's tape backup units and
I believe that they will sell it seperate from the unit upon request.

The syntax for this program is:   QT mcopy C: D:
where C: is the source drive
and D: is the target drive.

I hope this info is helpful.  If you come across any other such programs,
please let me know (and post it too).  Thanks.
  /           / 4730 Centre Ave. #412   ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  Pittsburgh, PA  15213   BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/   (412) 268-8936          UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 Computer Dr.
Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.