[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I want to learn

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (04/11/89)

Hi,
I'd like to learn Assembler language programming, but, I really don't know
what 'the' book to get for it..  (i.e. 'the' book for C is the K&R, etc.) If
anyone can help, I'd greatly appriciate it.  BTW, if at all possible, list
books for Macro Assembler too.

Dave

--
davek@lakesys.lakesys.com -OR- uunet!marque!lakesys!davek
"The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity.  'Round the cathedral rang

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (Jim Vickroy) (04/12/89)

In article <530@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
=>Hi,
=>I'd like to learn Assembler language programming, but, I really don't know
=>what 'the' book to get for it..  (i.e. 'the' book for C is the K&R, etc.) If
=>anyone can help, I'd greatly appriciate it.  BTW, if at all possible, list
=>books for Macro Assembler too.

I just finished teaching a PC Assembler class and selected Peter Norton's
Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC as the class text. I thought it was
a better book on the subject, but not the best. The problem is I haven't
seen the best or what I thought was the best. Another book I've used for
years is IBM PC & XT Assembly Language, A Guide for Programmers by Leo J.
Scanlon. What I've taught in my class was that on the PC, you must become
fluent in Assembler *and* BIOS and DOS interrupts. There are two texts which
I recommend for achieving the latter: The Peter Norton Programmer's Guide to
the IBM PC and if you *really* want to know just about every thing The MSDOS
Encyclopedia. I must warn you, The MSDOS Encyclopedia comes with a fairly
hefty price tag (~ $125).

Hope this helps.....

jim
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Jim Vickroy
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Dublin, Ohio
UUCP:    {att|pyramid|killer}!osu-cis!sppy00!jmv
domain:	 jmv@sppy00.uucp
USSNAIL: 6565 Frantz Rd., Dublin, Ohio 43017-0702
"Hey, wow man ... pooby shooby"                                            -cm

nts0302@dsacg3.UUCP (Bob Fisher) (04/13/89)

In article <530@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
> Hi,
> I'd like to learn Assembler language programming, but, I really don't know
> what 'the' book to get for it..  (i.e. 'the' book for C is the K&R, etc.) If
> anyone can help, I'd greatly appriciate it.  BTW, if at all possible, list
> books for Macro Assembler too.

Heath/Zenith has a self-teach course for assembler language.  It comes in
two full-size notebooks and has a final exam for which you can get
continuing education credits.  I think the price is $89.

--
Bob Fisher (osu-cis!dsacg1!bfisher) 614-238-9071 (Autovon 850-9071)
From the Internet: bfisher%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa