[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DeskJet EPSON FX Emulation

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (TerrellE) (04/06/89)

Does the HP DeskJet ink-jet printer emulate an EPSON FX?  Does this
require an extra ROM cartridge?

Does the printer emulate the FX graphics mode?

Does the printer emulate the 2-pass letter quality mode?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

kevinh@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Kevin Hudson) (04/11/89)

To emulate an Epson printer with DeskJet, you need the Epson FX-80 Printer
Emulation Cartridge (#22707E). I believe the cost is $70. It emulates the
full feature set of the FX-80, and includes the necessary fonts -- 10 pitch,
12 pitch, and proportional.

There is no need to "emulate" Epson letter quality. All text on DeskJet is
laser printer quality -- far better than a real Epson printer. We decided
it was better to use DeskJet's 300x300 dpi capability, rather than emulate
a 72x120 font :-).

Kevin Hudson
HP Vancouver (WA)

eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) (04/13/89)

In article <670006@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> kevinh@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Kevin Hudson) writes:
>To emulate an Epson printer with DeskJet, you need the Epson FX-80 Printer
>Emulation Cartridge (#22707E). I believe the cost is $70. It emulates the
>full feature set of the FX-80, and includes the necessary fonts -- 10 pitch,
>12 pitch, and proportional.

At least HP Switzerland distributes a free program LaserJet Access, which
is supposed to emulate Epson and IBM Graphics Printers on HP LaserJets (it
also includes Epson graphics features). Since the DeskJet is compatible to
the Laserjet (except for download characters), I think, it should also
work with it. (One has the choice of how to emulate IBM chracter set: by
download fonts (which won't work on the Deskjet) and graphics commands.

The programs Dialog is in German, so it's well possible that it's not available
anywhere.

UUCP:      ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!eichi         Stefan Eichenberger
BITNET:    K807817@CZHRZU1A