[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC editors for Ukrainian

ijk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (ihor.j.kinal) (04/07/89)

I'm interested in what is on the market or available as shareware.

So far, I've discovered two systems that come close to what I want,
and I'm interested if anyone knows about others and can make
recommendations.

[NOTE: Ukrainian is a Cyrillic language, similar to Russian, but with
several characters that are different].

I know about:
	LETTRIX: an editor that does Greek, Russian, and several
others. Retail Price around $100. Works only 9-pin printers [which
is what I have].  Has the capability to design your own characters
{has anyone tried????}.

	There's also an outfit in Canada [Key Co].that actually sells a
Ukrainian editor, but their system replaces the VIDEO char chip,
and requires a printer that can accept at LEAST 66 downloadable
characters [mine doesn't, and I'm not sure about replacing the
video chip].  [Phone # 613 824-3878]
If anyone needs more info, let me know.

Thanks for any advice or info.

Ihor Kinal 201 615- 4374.
cbnewsh!ijk
 or
violin!ijk

ukrainec@maccs.McMaster.CA (Andy Ukrainec) (04/13/89)

In article <166@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> ijk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (ihor.j.kinal) writes:
>I'm interested in what is on the market or available as shareware.
>So far, I've discovered two systems that come close to what I want,
>and I'm interested if anyone knows about others and can make
>recommendations.
>[NOTE: Ukrainian is a Cyrillic language, similar to Russian, but with
>several characters that are different].
[stuff deleted]

I am not aware of any shareware, but my recommendation would be T3
(pronounced tee-cubed), which doesn't have Ukrainian per se, but has
Russian cyrillic and a font editor.  I've been meaning to edit the
cyrillic font to generated the necessary extra characters, but I haven't
got around to it yet.  The nice thing about T3 is that once you
have the font, you can create any arbitrary keyboard layout you
want.  It also supports 9-pin printers very nicely.  I should mention
that T3 is a full-blown technical word processor, so if you do technical
writing, it is the one for you.  (PC Mag recommends it.)

I have tried Lettrix, but it is not WYSIWYG so it is a pain to use.
Try figuring out what "DOBRIJ DEN" is mapped onto a QWERTY keyboard.

Of course, there is a $400-$500 catch to using T3, so it may not be the
solution for you.  I would recommend that you drop by a local university
and see what their Slavic languages department is using.  They may have
a lower cost solution for you.

                                  Hope this helps.

!  "I am what I am!"    Andrew Ukrainec   ukrainec@maccs.mcmaster.ca  !
!   Communications Research Laboratory, McMaster University           !
!   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4K1                                !