[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WANTED: TSR program to Swap Control and Cap Lock keys

jru@arnav.UUCP (John Underwood) (04/11/89)

I have a terrible time using the AT style keyboard with the cap lock
key next to the 'A' and the control key at the lower left.  I've
heard there is a public domain program available somewhere to swap
the control and cap lock keys, but haven't been able to find it.

If anyone knows where to find it, please reply by e-mail and I'll
post to the net.  Thanks in advance.

--
John Underwood                       at&t : 1-503-684-1600
Arnav Systems, Inc                   uucp : ..!tektronix!reed!arnav!jru

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (04/12/89)

In article <1029@arnav.UUCP> jru@arnav.UUCP (John Underwood) writes:
>I have a terrible time using the AT style keyboard with the cap lock
>key next to the 'A' and the control key at the lower left.  I've
>heard there is a public domain program available somewhere to swap
>the control and cap lock keys, but haven't been able to find it.

These requests come up regularly (why can't IBM design a good keyboard),
so here is my monthly :-) posting of kbdr.com, a tiny tsr that makes the
caps lock act as an additional control key.  The combination rightshift-capslock
gives the capslock function.

Note that this program is for AT class machines or later (PS/2) only.

Hopefully these requests will dwindle to  zero as people buy clone keyboards
with a switch on the back to exchange the keys, or buy the Northgate
Omnikey/102 keyboard (which I heartily recommend!).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

begin 666 kbdr.com
MZ0@`30(`````"@"\FO_'!@4!F/^]_O^)+@<!_.A@`+@`3,TA`````(#\3W4M
M/#IU&@8NC@9^`";V!A<$`74"L!VB?0`'^2[_+H``/+IU"Z!]``2`^2[_+H``
M^2[_+H``7EA:6QZ.V[0ES2$?_^:T-<TAB=B,P\.Z#`"X`#'-(>A]`#1#05!3
M3$]#2R`M/B!#5%),+"`@4DE'2%132$E&5"`K($-!4%-,3T-+("T^($-!4%-,
M3T-+Z%<`Z$(`"T)Y(%1O;2!!;&UYZ$4`QP9^````N!4`Z);_HR0!B1XF`;HD
M`5*Z@`!2NCP`4NA1`(S(4+J$`%*Z%0!2Z&3_Z7C_6XH',.1#4U`!PUA:4XG3
MZ2$`N`T`Z`D`N`H`Z0,``0``HA\"M$"Y`0"Z'P*+'AT"S2'#B<&)VHL>'0*T
20,TAPUM97U[C!HS8CL#SI/_C
`
end

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (04/13/89)

In article <4925@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>These requests come up regularly (why can't IBM design a good keyboard),
>so here is my monthly :-) posting of kbdr.com, a tiny tsr that makes the
>caps lock act as an additional control key.  The combination rightshift-capslock
>Note that this program is for AT class machines or later (PS/2) only.
>toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
>Standard Disclaimers Apply

Tom-
     I downloaded your program last time you posted it, but it crashes
on my Zenith 248/12. Any ideas on how I can get my control key moved
back to the right :-) location. Any help would be appreciated, I can't
figure why all the new AT keyboards put the control key in such an
annoying place to begin with!

Thank you

Ted Goldstein
du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu

rkl1@hound.UUCP (K.LAUX) (04/13/89)

	There is a utility program called switch.com that comes with
WordStar.  Works just fine.  If you're running with the MKS Toolkit,
rename it to something like swapkey.com.

--rkl