[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CHINESE & KOREAN WORDPROCESSORS NEEDED URGENTLY!

hullp@cogsci.berkeley.edu ( ) (04/12/89)

I am in urgent need of both a Korean and Chinese (Mandarin with the new
simplified characters from the PRC preferred) wordprocessor.  I already
own WordPerfect so a program that simply reconfigures the keyboard to
produce Korean characters (like the keybsp.exe file that comes with
MSDOS to transform the keyboard from US norms to Spanish norms) would
be great.   Then I could simply reconfigure the keyboard, enter WordPerect
and enter Korean text using all of the WordPerfect features that I'm
familiar with.

The large number of Chinese characters would seem to make
this approach with Chinese impossible.  What Chinese wordprocessors are
out there?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Philip V. Hull.
ARPANET/ BITNET: hullp@cogsci.berkeley.edu

UUCP: ucbvax!cogsci!hullp  OR: ucbvax!cogsci.berkeley.edu!hullp

albert@cmtl01.UUCP (Albert Luk) (04/13/89)

In article <28768@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, hullp@cogsci.berkeley.edu (             ) writes:
> I am in urgent need of both a Korean and Chinese (Mandarin with the new
> simplified characters from the PRC preferred) wordprocessor.  I already
> own WordPerfect so a program that simply reconfigures the keyboard to
> produce Korean characters (like the keybsp.exe file that comes with
> MSDOS to transform the keyboard from US norms to Spanish norms) would
> be great.   Then I could simply reconfigure the keyboard, enter WordPerect
> and enter Korean text using all of the WordPerfect features that I'm
> familiar with.
>
> The large number of Chinese characters would seem to make
> this approach with Chinese impossible.  What Chinese wordprocessors are
> out there?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Philip V. Hull.
> ARPANET/ BITNET: hullp@cogsci.berkeley.edu
>
> UUCP: ucbvax!cogsci!hullp  OR: ucbvax!cogsci.berkeley.edu!hullp

       While I was on oversea assignment in PRC I noticed students were using
  Chinese WordStar over there.  There is a Vancouver based company selling
  a Chinese word processor called "Tin Ma".  I have seen a Xerox workstation
  bundled with multi-lingual fonts and dictionaries for Chinese, Japanese etc.
  and the Xerox laser printer prints out letter quality Chinese characters.

  Also, the Chinese had developed a Chinese character DOS and you can use
  the good old pc's edlin to do Chinese line editing.  I had used it myself
  on both CGA and MDA over in China.

                                                  ___     ___
   Albert Luk                              ___            ___
   PO Box 1111 Station H                         _____   _____
   Montreal, Quebec
   Canada H3G 2N1

   (514) 399-4220 voice/data

   ..!attcan!CN.YIS!albert

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (04/14/89)

In article <1225@cmtl01.UUCP> albert@cmtl01.UUCP (Albert Luk) writes:
>In article <28768@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, hullp@cogsci.berkeley.edu (             ) writes:
>> I am in urgent need of both a Korean and Chinese (Mandarin with the new
>> simplified characters from the PRC preferred) wordprocessor.  I already
>> own WordPerfect so a program that simply reconfigures the keyboard to
> [deleted for brevity]
>
>  a Chinese word processor called "Tin Ma".  I have seen a Xerox workstation
>  bundled with multi-lingual fonts and dictionaries for Chinese, Japanese etc.
>  and the Xerox laser printer prints out letter quality Chinese characters.

The Xerox workstation he's referring to is based on their 6085 platform and
goes by the sale name of Documentor. Its word processor is called Viewpoint.
Compared to PC based WP, it makes them look like the toys they are. It offers
more than a dozen languages including: Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, all
European languages, Cyrillic, Greek, and a some special ones like
Greek, Logic, Math, Office, Graphics.

This unit is pretty much good for just WP although they offer PC emulation
and a couple of other programs for it. You cannot run other (3rd party)
applications in Viewpoint; I don't believe anybody writes for it. Plus,
this beast is fairly expensive, at least when you're used to PC's. If
you want the extended language support, get the 80MB disk with it and all
the RAM you can (it holds 3.7MB), you'll need it. Be prepared to spend
$25,000 minimum plus a quarterly maintenance fee of more than $500.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who