[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help! Apple II to MS-DOS

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joe Loda) (04/11/89)

Help!  A friend of mine just purchased an MS-DOS based pc, and is looking
to convert (somehow) as much as possible from his Apple //e.  Is there
any sort of conversion tool or utility available to aid in this?

Thanks for your help!

--
Joe Loda   Analysts International (AiC) - Chicago Branch

Usenet:  ..!aicchi!joeloda
GEnie :  j.loda                          CIS:  75726,1641

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (04/12/89)

From article <91@aicchi.UUCP>, by joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joe Loda):

> Help!  A friend of mine just purchased an MS-DOS based pc, and is looking
> to convert (somehow) as much as possible from his Apple //e.  Is there
> any sort of conversion tool or utility available to aid in this?

There is only one product that I know of that will allow you to read
Apple disks on an IBM.  It is a hardware and software solution and
works very well.  The product is called MatchPoint from Micro Solutions.
It contains a board that goes betweeen your controller and drive and
then you run some special programs that give you resident commands
for initing, and working with Apple disks.  The board runs a little
over $100.  I have found that it is really only possible to move
ASCII text files since there are no conversion programs for translating
Apple II wordprocessing or databases etc.  The only formats that will
move across well are DIF, WordPerfect and ASCII.

If your friend needs a few moved quickly, I do conversions for $15
a disk.  Email me if you need more info.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (04/14/89)

In article <1336@naucse.UUCP>, wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> From article <91@aicchi.UUCP>, by joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joe Loda):
> >
> > Help!  A friend of mine just purchased an MS-DOS based pc, and is looking
> > to convert (somehow) as much as possible from his Apple //e.  Is there
> > any sort of conversion tool or utility available to aid in this?
> >
> There is only one product that I know of that will allow you to read
I have used Manx Aztec C on both the IBM-PC and the Apple II and there
is a serial line transfer program that can be run to transfer any file
either direction; however, only ASCII files will be of any use.

--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

rlneal@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Neal) (04/14/89)

One way to move the files from the Apple to the MS-DOS machine would
be to use a null modem connector, assuming both machines have serial
ports, and then use a terminal host program (Procomm) on the MS-DOS
machine and a terminal program on the Apple.  Then just upload the files
from the Apple to the MS-DOS.  Of course, it won't do any good to
transfer program files, they won't run any way on the MS-DOS machine.
But I am sure the ASCII files are worth moving over.  Also, you may
have to create ASCII files from your word processor & database files.

On the other hand, I think you can buy a card to put in the PC that
will run some Apple software.  It's available from Micro-solutions
I believe.  This would be rather expensive for a one time thing.

Hopes this helps.                               Bob Neal
                                                @ att_com!ihlpe!rlneal
.

mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) (04/15/89)

In article <91@aicchi.UUCP> joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joe Loda) writes:

>Help!  A friend of mine just purchased an MS-DOS based pc, and is looking
>to convert (somehow) as much as possible from his Apple //e.  Is there
>any sort of conversion tool or utility available to aid in this?

The first step is to be able to read the Apple disks on the PC.  Try
Uniform from MicroSolutions; it will allow you to read, write, and format
Apple II disks, as well as a bunch of CP/M 5.25" formats.  MicroSolutions
also sells a co-processor board that will allow you to execute Apple II
software on the PC.  Without this capability, or a program which can
convert file formats (as opposed to disk formats), you will have a problem.
Of course, straight ASCII text files are no problem.  Also, any files
created by a program on the Apple which has a file-format compatible
counterpart in the PC world can be managed without a coprocessor, provided
you obtain the PC version of the program(s).

--
Mike Lawless, NCR E&M Wichita, Box 20     (316) 636-8666   (NCR: 654-8666)
3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita, KS  67226     Mike.Lawless@Wichita.NCR.COM