[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 9600 BPS FAXES/MODEMS

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (04/13/89)

Two questions:

1) Are there any 9600 bps fax boards that can be used as 9600 bps modems
as well (even assuming that this requires communication between two fax
boards of the same make)?

2) What are some of the cheapest 9600 bps modems available, and which
9600 bps modems talk to the widest variety of 9600 bps modems by different
manufacturers?

Thanks,
Will

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles J. Lord) (04/17/89)

In article <17094@cup.portal.com>, Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Are there any 9600 bps fax boards that can be used as 9600 bps modems
> as well (even assuming that this requires communication between two fax
> boards of the same make)?
>
> 2) What are some of the cheapest 9600 bps modems available, and which
> 9600 bps modems talk to the widest variety of 9600 bps modems by different
> manufacturers?

1) Yes there are, but standards are not with us yet.  As you surmised,
    You really need the same mfr board at each end.

To see *who* has boards that answer that question as well as answers
to question 2), see the latest issue of PC Magazine (first half of
April issue).  They give a good review of about all 9600 baud fax
cards.  If you have interest in the older/cheaper 4800 baud cards
see the June 28 1988 issue of the same magazine.

Hope this helps.  I'm still shopping myself, but am leaning hard
toward the Complete Fax over the JT...
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *