[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.0 problems

apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) (04/15/89)

I recently put DOS 4.0 on a system that used DOS 3.3 ( both IBM releases ), It
 seems that now many utilities are broken, namely norton. Any thoughts ?

thanks,
Alex

Alex P. Novickis, Real Time systems demi-guru.  (W)   408-370-4541
ALINK:alex.n                                    (PAGE)    289-6678
UUCP:{amdahl,claris,pyramid,sun,decwrl,well,ubvax,ames}!apn@apple.com,apn@nonvon
"I think... I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check"-Escher.

gbm@gbmatl.UUCP (gary mckenney) (04/17/89)

In article <29008@apple.Apple.COM>, apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) writes:
> I recently put DOS 4.0 on a system that used DOS 3.3 ( both IBM releases ), It
>  seems that now many utilities are broken, namely norton. Any thoughts ?

Here are my thoughts (since you asked):

I've written some copy-protection software for a company that would not perform
correctly under DOS 4.0.

If I'm not mistaken, DOS 4.0 can have a > 32MB hard disk partition.  In order
to achieve this they had to increase the size of the directory entries
therefore breaking everyones software expecting only a 16 byte directory entry.

I don't know specifically what changes have been made (if any) to the FAT table
which could have significant and disastrous consequences if you attempt to do
anything worth while with those programs.

One day I'll have to go pick up a copy of 4.0. ??

By the way,  has Microsoft come out with an official copy of this yet or are
these all specific IBM releases still ?

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (04/17/89)

}
}If I'm not mistaken, DOS 4.0 can have a > 32MB hard disk partition.  In order
}to achieve this they had to increase the size of the directory entries
}therefore breaking everyones software expecting only a 16 byte directory entry.

Directory entries are 32 bytes (are you perhaps thinking of 16-bit FAT
entries?).  There are ten unused bytes in directory entries from versions 1.1
through 3.x, so I doubt there is any need to increase the size of directory
entries for 4.0 (DOS 1.0 had twelve unused bytes--it didn't store the time,
only the date).

}I don't know specifically what changes have been made (if any) to the FAT table

I understand that >32 meg partitions use 32-bit FAT entries instead of 12 or 16
bit entries.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (Jim Vickroy) (04/17/89)

In article <29008@apple.Apple.COM> apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) writes:
=>I recently put DOS 4.0 on a system that used DOS 3.3 ( both IBM releases ), It
=> seems that now many utilities are broken, namely norton. Any thoughts ?
=>

Many of the Norton Utilities won't work because with DOS 4.0, the File
Allocation Table (FAT) was enlarged to support 32Kb+ sized files. Once
you install 4.0, you also cannot go back to another version of DOS without
reformatting.

jim
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Jim Vickroy
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Dublin, Ohio
UUCP:    {att|pyramid|killer}!osu-cis!sppy00!jmv
domain:	 jmv@sppy00.uucp
USSNAIL: 6565 Frantz Rd., Dublin, Ohio 43017-0702
"Hey, wow man ... pooby shooby"                                            -cm