[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Heap Expander breaks 640K? !!!

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (04/15/89)

Has anyone had any experience with using the Heap Expander from the
Tool Makers (408-458-0690 for info, 800-248-1045 x100 to order)?

Apparently, it includes library and source (for Turbo C & Pascal, MSC)
to extend your heap using extended, expanded or disk memory.  The ad
claims to provide a virtually unlimited heap (limited by disk space?).

Does it work in the Huge memory model?
Does it work with my interrupt routines?
Does it work with my 386 protected mode device drivers?
Will it destroy the debbuger?

This really sounds to good to be true.  I'm just about hitting my head
on the 640K (actually 736k using '386 backfilling) memory ceiling.
The other alternative would be to go to Unix (which may not be
possible as this is a space bound application and hard disk
availability is uncertain) or a protected mode system (i.e. 16M, Phar
Lap, OS/386 (from AI Architects, not MS)).  All of these are
expensive ($500 - $5000) and make development cumbersome if I want to
retain my exisisting graphics libararies and development environment.
Certainly '386 protected mode would be faster (32 bit pointers in
small memory model), but seems awfully painful right now.

Any chance of a protected mode Turbo C being on the horizon?
--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
"A hungry mob is an angry mob"

royf@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (04/16/89)

In article <1086@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>, raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience with using the Heap Expander from the
> Tool Makers (408-458-0690 for info, 800-248-1045 x100 to order)?
>
> Apparently, it includes library and source (for Turbo C & Pascal, MSC)

Heap expander is just an EMM/EXT/Disk driver subroutine package.  It no
more breaks the 640K barrier than any other EMM access package does.

You are required to call special allocation routines instead of malloc,
requests must be <= 16K each (size of EMM page), and call map routine
each  time you need to access a given area.

Also, the ad I responded to said "Still just 59.95!".  The next issue of
Dr Dobbs ran the same ad, but "Still just 79.95!".  What the h*ll do they
mean "still"?

I have a simpler EMM subroutine package (only EMM, not EXT or disk) in
asm you can have for free.  It is designed to be called from TurboC.
You can assemble any model you want. Just 4 routines (all in one module)
init, alloc, map, close.  Same limitations as for HX (that's life with
EMM).  Not copyrighted - I will post it if anyone wants it.

Roy Frederick (royf@killer.UUCP)
Dallas County Data Services  (214) 749-6340
504 Records Bldg.
Dallas, TX 75202

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (04/16/89)

In article <7861@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, royf@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) writes:
}Also, the ad I responded to said "Still just 59.95!".  The next issue of
}Dr Dobbs ran the same ad, but "Still just 79.95!".  What the h*ll do they
}mean "still"?

It means they decided not to raise the price to 99.95 :-)  I wonder if "false
advertising" means anything to them....

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (04/18/89)

In article <7861@killer.Dallas.TX.US> royf@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) writes:
>I have a simpler EMM subroutine package (only EMM, not EXT or disk) in
>asm you can have for free.

Sure, mail or post it.

Any info on subroutine libraries/specs for extended or expanded
memory?

---

--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James