[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm in vt-100 mode

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (04/05/89)

Anyone out there have any experience with Procomm 2.4.2 as a vt-100
terminal emulator?  I'm checking it out at work, where I have a PC-AT
networked to our UNIX machine. 	I've tried Procomm at home and it
seems great for BBS work, but I have run into a problem or two here.

I've got it configured so I can log in to our system, read mail, use
emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
I've checked the binary transfer options but nothing there seems to
change this freezing up problem.

If it matters, I use the Gem desktop and run Procomm under this.
I also have Gem at home, and have run Procomm there with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

wainscot@jell-o.berkeley.edu (Brian Wainscott) (04/06/89)

In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
>from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.

I've had the same problem, and as far as I can tell it has nothing
whatsoever to do with the terminal mode (I think).  I log on in vt100
mode and do file transfers (xmodem, modem7) all the time AT 1200 BAUD!!
When I try 2400 baud, it hangs every time, even when doing ASCII uploads!
(I can download to a log file no problem).  So as far as I can tell,
it is just a problem with procomm at rates faster than 1200 baud, which
is really anoying since I have this 2400 baud modem...

If anyone out there can tell me I'm wrong, and help me fix whatever I'm doing,
I'd love to know about it!!

 Brian Wainscott        Graduate Student       U.C. Berkeley
 wainscot@math.berkeley.edu

thomas-m@schooner.cis.ohio-state.edu (Malcolm Thomas) (04/06/89)

In article <22669@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wainscot@jell-o.UUCP (Brian Wainscott) writes:
>In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>>emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
>>from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
>
>I've had the same problem, and as far as I can tell it has nothing
>whatsoever to do with the terminal mode (I think).  I log on in vt100
>mode and do file transfers (xmodem, modem7) all the time AT 1200 BAUD!!
>When I try 2400 baud, it hangs every time, even when doing ASCII uploads!
>(I can download to a log file no problem).  So as far as I can tell,
>it is just a problem with procomm at rates faster than 1200 baud, which
>is really anoying since I have this 2400 baud modem...

I have had NO problems with Procomm at 2400.  Actually its the only rate I use.
Downloading binaries form my UNIX account to my AT clone (16Mhz Gateway2000--if
the speed makes a difference) has produced no problems.  I use kermit, xmodem
batch (isn't that modem7?) without problems.

I would suspect your modem.  Maybe it doesn't work well at > 1200b.  That's
just a maybe though.

thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu	| "Start of witty saying...
196 W. 11th Ave, Apt 320	|     ...witty saying...
Columbus, OH 43210		|          ...end of witty saying."

In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>I've got it configured so I can log in to our system, read mail, use
>emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
>from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
>I've checked the binary transfer options but nothing there seems to
>change this freezing up problem.

I would check which com port you are using your modem on.  From what I
understand, Procomm does not allow binary transfers when on com port 3.

Why, I don't know.  I heard this from my brother who has much more
experience with these things than I do.  He switches to another comm
software to do transfers from UNIX machines.  I think he uses a program
called MIRROR.  He also uses QMODEM but I'm not sure if he can transfer
with this software or not.  If you would like to find out more from him,
please email me your questions and I will ask him.

Greg Cook

cook@frith.egr.msu.edu
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu

marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (04/06/89)

From article <2380@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
> I would check which com port you are using your modem on.  From what I
> understand, Procomm does not allow binary transfers when on com port 3.

I can quash that theory.  I have a 1200 baud modem on an XTurbo clone,
so there may be other hardware considerations, but as a general
statement it is not true.  I have an internal modem hardware-configured
as COM3 and I've used XMODEM for binary transfers with ProComm 2.4.2.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
            explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (04/06/89)

In article <22669@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wainscot@jell-o.UUCP (Brian Wainscott) writes:
]In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
]>emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
]>from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
]I've had the same problem, and as far as I can tell it has nothing
]whatsoever to do with the terminal mode (I think).
]So as far as I can tell,
]it is just a problem with procomm at rates faster than 1200 baud, which
]is really anoying since I have this 2400 baud modem...
]If anyone out there can tell me I'm wrong, and help me fix whatever I'm doing,
]I'd love to know about it!!

	Well, I can make you happy then.  I constantly up/download at
	19,200 baud to my UNIX system with both ProComm 2.4.2 and
	ProComm+TD.  The only problem I have is uploading to my 3b2
	when there are a bunch of other users on it and the ports board
	can't handle 19200 baud data being dumped to it.  I will bet
	that your problem is that you don't have the download path
	set properly in the file/path option under ALT S.  You "must"
	terminate the directory name with a "\", ie: c:\download\
	Also, make sure there is such a directory.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (04/07/89)

In article <2672@garth.UUCP>, dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
> Anyone out there have any experience with Procomm 2.4.2 as a vt-100
> terminal emulator? . . .

I've been trying the pcplus test drive as a PC/AT vt102 terminal connected
to our Ultrix VAX.  In order to log on the VAX and process as a vt102,
I have to set pcplus to even-parity/7-bit.  Then, if I want to send
files back-and-forth to the PC (kermit protocol), I have to switch to
no-parity/8-bit.  Then back again when the transmission ends.  This
works, albeit awkwardly.  In any case, pcplus has never hung the PC.
When I use pckermit to do the same thing, it only needs to be set to
no-parity/8-bit for file transmission and handles the terminal stuff
transparently (no switching to 7-bit).  Much easier!  (But pcplus does
so much more than pckermit.)  In both cases, I use wermit on the VAX
end.  I suspect I don't have the connection set quite right (another VAX
behaves slightly differently), but I could live with it.  Maybe.

	Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) (04/07/89)

I routinely use Procomm at 9600 bps (using a USR HST) and have had no
problems whatsoever.  Check and ensure that you have files and buffers
set to at least 20 on an XT class machine (like I use) or 40 if using
an AT class micro.
--

Mike Tarrani
Integrated Systems Analysts, Inc.

suhans@let.vu.nl (suhans) (04/07/89)

In article <2380@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
> >I've got it configured so I can log in to our system, read mail, use
> >emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
> >from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
> >I've checked the binary transfer options but nothing there seems to
> >change this freezing up problem.

I use procomm on com1, com2, com3 and com4 and I have no problems.
The only problem we have is that in the PC's with an ethernetcard
procomm hangs when we start a file transfer. We have to reset the
PC.
So we don't use the PC with an ethernetcard.

Hans

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) (04/08/89)

>	can't handle 19200 baud data being dumped to it.  I will bet
>	that your problem is that you don't have the download path
>	set properly in the file/path option under ALT S.  You "must"

Excellent suggestion.  The problem which was keeping me from downloading
successfully, however, was that I logged in at E-7-1.  Try changing your
line setting to 8 bits, probably N-8-1.

In article <1316@hounx.ATT.COM> marty1@hounx.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
>From article <2380@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
>> I would check which com port you are using your modem on.  From what I
>> understand, Procomm does not allow binary transfers when on com port 3.
>
>I can quash that theory.  I have a 1200 baud modem on an XTurbo clone,
>so there may be other hardware considerations, but as a general
>statement it is not true.  I have an internal modem hardware-configured
>as COM3 and I've used XMODEM for binary transfers with ProComm 2.4.2.

I stand corrected!  The problem with COM3 concerned KERMIT transfers
only.  I did not make this clear.  I also have had no problems using
XMODEM in COM3 with procomm.

Greg

hs0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Harold Jason Shapiro) (04/09/89)

I regularly use Procomm + in vt102 mode here without any trouble at all.
I have been at 1200, 2400, and 9600 baud without a hitch.  Check to
make sure all settings are properly set in the Alt-S menu.
                   Harold Shapiro
                  hs0i+@andrew.cmu.edu

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (04/10/89)

In article <3012@copper.MDP.TEK.COM>, byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) writes:
] >	can't handle 19200 baud data being dumped to it.  I will bet
] >	that your problem is that you don't have the download path
] >	set properly in the file/path option under ALT S.  You "must"
] Excellent suggestion.  The problem which was keeping me from downloading
] successfully, however, was that I logged in at E-7-1.  Try changing your
] line setting to 8 bits, probably N-8-1.

Or you might try "set parity even" at a kermit command prompt.
--
Bill Michaelson - Reply to: princeton!mccc!cosi!bill
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (04/10/89)

In article <1294@raybed2.UUCP>, rgc@raybed2.ray.com (me) writes:
> I've been trying the pcplus test drive as a PC/AT vt102 terminal connected
> to our Ultrix VAX . . .  In any case, pcplus has never hung the PC.

I should have mentioned: I tried pcplus (test drive) at 9600 baud as
both Ultrix terminal emulator and downloader and had no transmission
problems.

        Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/11/89)

Our siroal communication system at work cupports only printable
ASCII: packet 19 (13 hex) chokes the connecter boxes because they
process ^S's from the "terminal" (utilizing their own internal
buffers).

We had similar problems trying to do binary transfers.  See if
infact you're getting the first 18 packets and the thing chokes when
the 19th (the "^Sth") packet tries to get through.

kEITHe

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (04/11/89)

In article <41861@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Malcolm Thomas <thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <22669@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wainscot@jell-o.UUCP (Brian Wainscott) writes:
>I have had NO problems with Procomm at 2400.  Actually its the only rate I use.
>Downloading binaries form my UNIX account to my AT clone (16Mhz Gateway2000--if
>the speed makes a difference) has produced no problems.  I use kermit, xmodem
>batch (isn't that modem7?) without problems.
>I would suspect your modem.  Maybe it doesn't work well at > 1200b.  That's
>just a maybe though.
>thomas-m@cis.ohio-state.edu	| "Start of witty saying...

I have used Procomm and its Kermit at 9600 baud through a CO LAN connection
into a VAX and at 19200 baud through a BIU into a Sun 3/60 workstation.
As long as the file type and parity are set correctly on
both ends it works very well.  We used 7-E-1 in both applications;
the 9600 baud connection was a Zenith Z-248; the 19200 baud was
an IBM PS-2 Model 60.  There was no modem in either case, although
the CO LAN used a Data/Voice Multiplexer, which I think works about
the same as a modem when it sends data.

Bruce Carlson

goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jim Goes, Univ of Oregon) (04/11/89)

 --
I do binary transfers with KERMIT on PC+TD using COM3 all the time.  You
have to make certain both the mainframe Kermit  and MS-Kermit are

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/12/89)

As quoted from <22669@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> by wainscot@jell-o.berkeley.edu (Brian Wainscott):
+---------------
| In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
| >emacs, read news, etc., but when I attempt a binary file transfer
| >from my UNIX account to my AT, my AT freezes up and I have to reset.
|
| whatsoever to do with the terminal mode (I think).  I log on in vt100
| mode and do file transfers (xmodem, modem7) all the time AT 1200 BAUD!!
| When I try 2400 baud, it hangs every time, even when doing ASCII uploads!
+---------------

Hmm.  Back when I used Procomm 2.4.2, I used it at 2400 baud all the time,
with no problems... although I used Ymodem Batch or Kermit instead of Xmodem.

You should be aware that Procomm 2.4.3 appears to exist.  (I use Telix now...
but may switch, depending on whether it works in a Windows-286 window or
not.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu (04/13/89)

I have Procomm 2.4.2, and for the longest time I wasn't able to do any
downloading whatsoever.  It turned out that there is a bug where you can't
use the Kermit server unless you have space parity set.  At first I was
using 4800,N,7,1 on Unix, and when I tried downloading, nothing would ever
get sent.  Changing the parity to space fixed all my problems.  Maybe this
will help?

			Bryan Holloway

			holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!holloway

marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) (04/14/89)

In article <16800430@clio> holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have Procomm 2.4.2, and for the longest time I wasn't able to do any
>downloading whatsoever.  It turned out that there is a bug where you can't
>use the Kermit server unless you have space parity set.  At first I was
>using 4800,N,7,1 on Unix, and when I tried downloading, nothing would ever
>get sent.  Changing the parity to space fixed all my problems.  Maybe this
>will help?

I did the same thing when I used to use Procomm Plus (TD). It worked
right up to the last byte when it would always hang. I had to abort at
that point but the file was not corrupted.

Why use Kermit anyhow? Y/Xmodem is available for Unix and Zmodem
source code can be downloaded from SIMTEL20. These are far faster
file transfer protocols.

And why use any version of Procomm when Telix 3.11 has so many more
features and fewer bugs?

        Roger Marquis
                                (marquis@qal.berkeley.edu)

c60b-jw@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Jay Bhatt) (04/14/89)

In article <16800430@clio> holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>[downloading using Kermit]
>
>At first I was
>using 4800,N,7,1 on Unix, and when I tried downloading, nothing would ever
>get sent.  Changing the parity to space fixed all my problems.  Maybe this
>will help?

Kermit uses the 8th bit in downloading.  Without your parity set to 8, it
will not work properly.  If you can't logon using N,8,1 then just change
the parity of your modem to 8 after issuing the Kermit *send* command.
(Garbage characters will appear.  Just remember to reset the parity when
 downloading is finished.)

I am using this method with ProComm 2.4.3 without any problems.

-----
A Sun
(hopefully helpful)
-----

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (04/15/89)

In article <12414@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60b-jw@buddy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Jay Bhatt) writes:
>In article <16800430@clio> holloway@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>[downloading using Kermit]
>>
>>At first I was
>>using 4800,N,7,1 on Unix, and when I tried downloading, nothing would ever
>>get sent.  Changing the parity to space fixed all my problems.  Maybe this
>>will help?
>>

>Kermit uses the 8th bit in downloading.  Without your parity set to 8, it
>will not work properly.  If you can't logon using N,8,1 then just change
>the parity of your modem to 8 after issuing the Kermit *send* command.
>(Garbage characters will appear.  Just remember to reset the parity when
> downloading is finished.)

I think that this is just plain wrong.  Kermit is intended for doing
binary (8-bit) transfers over E,7,1 lines by using a technique called
8-th bit quoting.  This does add substantial overhead in transmission
time, to be sure, but it does allow binary transfers in conditions
that other protocols such as (XYZ)modem ordinarily would crash under.

+----------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
|     "Why?"     | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
+----------------+-----------------------------------------+

pechter@scr1.UUCP (04/15/89)

In article <4917@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>Our siroal communication system at work cupports only printable
>ASCII: packet 19 (13 hex) chokes the connecter boxes because they
>process ^S's from the "terminal" (utilizing their own internal
>buffers).
>
>We had similar problems trying to do binary transfers.  See if
>infact you're getting the first 18 packets and the thing chokes when
>the 19th (the "^Sth") packet tries to get through.
>
>kEITHe

This is a problem with Xmodem inspired protocols.  Kermit allows Xon-Xoff
handshaking and sends the packet headers in ascii, not binary.  This way you
never get this deadlock xoff condition.

I've had the exact same problem with Sytek Local-Net 20 boxes at a system
at Fort Monmouth, NJ..  I needed xon-xoff flow at 9600 and the network
units lost characters going to Unix without it.  The fix was going
to MS-Kermit on the PC (or Procomm's Kermit) and Unix  Kermit on the Vax.
No problems after the switch to Kermit from an Xmodem based in-house protocol.
(The software guys never tested their stuff on the network and no one
at the site could figure out what the problem was).

Bill
(ex-hardware guy)
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (04/15/89)

Kermit does not need 8 bit parity to function.  I know as one of the major
hookups to the machines here at RPI is a 7 bit machine, and I've transferred
quite a bit of stuff using Kermit.  What Kermit will do when using 7 bit
word length is to use the 8th bit prefix.  I, unfortunately, am not an ex-
pert on Kermit.  So perhaps a real expert can come along and reveal the truth
to all of us.

Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu
 /__   -=>??<=-       - Irwin M. Fargo   Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
/   ARGO : 3000 years of regression from the year 4990

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (04/18/89)

In article <2380@cps3xx.UUCP> cook@frith.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>In article <2672@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>I would check which com port you are using your modem on.  From what I
>understand, Procomm does not allow binary transfers when on com port 3.

	No- Procomm *does* allow binary transfers on COM3- I have
been doing just that for over a year with it, and no problems.

>Greg Cook
>cook@frith.egr.msu.edu
>gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu

Mark Ritchie