[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Boot help!!!

c60b-bu@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Scott "the man" Drellishak) (04/17/89)

Ack!  Choke!

I have made a serious error.  My harddrive was formatted with MSDOS version
3.21, and I tried to upgrade to MSDOS version 3.30 using the SYS command.
To my woe, it responded "not enough room for system files."  Thinking that
I needed to remove MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS before the new versions could be
written, I did so.  Still, "not enough room."  Shucks, I thought, and tried
to re-SYS the harddisk with my 3.21 backup disk.  The same "not enough room"
error occurred.  Now I have a harddisk which will not boot up, and need

			HELP!

If anyone knows of a utility or DOS-trick which will let me make my harddrive
bootable again, please pass it on!  I know I can always back the sucker up
and then format/s it, but I'd rather not go through that particular hell.
Any help is appreciated.

Scott, c60b-bu

gbm@gbmatl.UUCP (gary mckenney) (04/18/89)

In article <12512@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c60b-bu@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Scott "the man" Drellishak) writes:

> 			HELP!

Scott,  Don't panic.

First you need a dos 3.21 bootable diskette.
Boot off the floppy and run the sys command to C:.

Hopefully this will take you to the state before you began all this mess.

As far as allowing you hard disk boot for 3.3 you are in some trouble.

It seems to me that you need to back everything up and then remove everything.

Then boot off 3.3 disk and run sys.

By the way,  All I told you here is not warrantied.

Gary McKenney.

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/19/89)

In article <1657@gbmatl.UUCP> gbm@gbmatl.UUCP (gary mckenney) writes:
>In article <12512@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c60b-bu@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Scott "the man" Drellishak) writes:
>>
>> 			HELP!
>>

>Scott,  Don't panic.

[changing from DOS 3.21 to 3.3]

>It seems to me that you need to back everything up and then
>remove everything.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Then boot off 3.3 disk and run sys.

You may not have to "remove everything;" just enough to make room for
the increased-size msdos.sys and io.sys (or the corresponding PC-DOS
files).  This can often be performed by simply deleting the first file
or two (or three, or...) in the list created by "DIR."  You're in for
more work, however, if you remove thies files, still don't have enough
room, and the next thing on the list is a (sub)directory.  _THEN_ you
get to remove everything in that subdirectory, and the subdirectory
itself to see it _that_ makes enough room.

Good Luck.

Have Fun.

Don't Worry.

Be Happy.