[comp.sys.ibm.pc] more problems with ProComm Plus

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) (04/14/89)

Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?

I am using the vt102 emulation on pcp, and I indicate that to the
host computer when I log in by setting the TERM variable and doing
tset afterwards.

This problem is such a pain I hardly ever call to the computers at
school.

Max.

marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) (04/14/89)

In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
>while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
>Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
>esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?
>
>I am using the vt102 emulation on pcp, and I indicate that to the
>host computer when I log in by setting the TERM variable and doing
>tset afterwards.

Are you remembering to 'unsetenv TERMCAP' as well as 'setenv TERM
vt100' (and even 'stty erase ^H)? If that doesn't give you a clean
implementation there is a better solution: switch to Telix, a far
better product in every respect.

           Roger Marquis
                            (marquis@qal.berkeley.edu)

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (04/14/89)

In article <23076@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) writes:
| In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
| >Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
| >esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?
| >
| Are you remembering to 'unsetenv TERMCAP' as well as 'setenv TERM
| vt100' (and even 'stty erase ^H)? If that doesn't give you a clean
| implementation there is a better solution: switch to Telix, a far
| better product in every respect.

More likely, the problem is you have destructive backspace enabled.
I.e. whenever a backspace is received, not only does the cursor move
back, but the character is replaced with a blank.  The fix is easy: go
into the setup and set PC+ for non-destructive backspace.  I'll stick
by PC+.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (04/15/89)

In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
>while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
>Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
>esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?
>
>I am using the vt102 emulation on pcp, and I indicate that to the
>host computer when I log in by setting the TERM variable and doing
>tset afterwards.
>
>This problem is such a pain I hardly ever call to the computers at
>school.
>
>Max.

The problem is caused by setting the backspace translation in your terminal
setup to DEST.  Use Alt-S to get the setup screen, select terminal setup, then
change the backspace translation to 'NON-DEST' instead.  However, you may have
other problems with 'vi' after that which I have not found very pleasant,
either.  For example, there is no way I can find to override Procomm's
translation of MS-DOS's backspace character (DEL) to ^H.  That's fine, if you
never need to use the DEL key on the machine you call, but I sometimes have to
call a VMS (ugh!) machine, which expects the backspace to be DEL, not ^H.  But
this has nothing to do with 'vi', does it? :-)

In addition, when I insert something into a line with 'vi' when I login from
home with Procomm, the display *appears* to overwrite, rather than insert, the
new text.  The only way around this I have found is to hit ^L every time I
escape from the insert mode to see what I *really* wrote.  (This is also the
case with your "erased" characters right now, by the way.  They're there, but
your display makes it seem like they are being deleted.)

I now use Kermit 2.32/A, which I got from SIMTEL20, instead.  It doesn't
translate the backspace, so I put 'stty erase ^?' in my .login file.  It also
emulates a variety of terminals, inclusing VT102, Heath-19, VT-52, and
Tek4010.  I only use Procomm if I'm not doing much editing.

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 Internet - hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
>while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
>Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
>esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?
>
>I am using the vt102 emulation on pcp, and I indicate that to the
>host computer when I log in by setting the TERM variable and doing
>tset afterwards.

I use the VT-100 emulation and it works fine.  I was using a different
mode (ANSI-BBS) for a while and had problems like you are describing.
By the way, when I had this problem the characters were NOT being erased
but only disappearing from the screen (hidden somehow).  They appeared
when I saved the file and read it again.

Greg Cook

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/18/89)

In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
>Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
>while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
>Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
>esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?

The fix is simple, in the terminal setup submenu of the ALT-S screen
turn destructive backspace off.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP

dts@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Daniel Senie) (04/21/89)

In article <22942@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
> Has anyone had the experience of trying to use VI on a host machine
> while using procomm or procomm plus on your PC.
> Does it so happen that when you move backwards inside your file using
> esc and then h, the letters you moved over get erased?

There is an option in PCPLUS to set the action to be taken when backspace is
received. It will either simply back up, or back up and delete the previous
character.

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu