[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Drive type 20 setting

battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) (04/11/89)

I have an IBM AT with a new Seagate ST-4038 hard drive. The
controller is a 16 bit Western Digital.

According to the documentation I have the ST-4038 is a drive
type 20.  My IBM Advanced Diagnostic setup disk only allows
drive types to range from 1 to 15.  How do I set the drive
type to 20?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

wei@hpctdls.HP.COM (Bill Ives) (04/13/89)

> / hpctdls:comp.sys.ibm.pc / battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) /  7:52 am  Apr 11, 1989 /
> I have an IBM AT with a new Seagate ST-4038 hard drive. The
> controller is a 16 bit Western Digital.

> According to the documentation I have the ST-4038 is a drive
> type 20.  My IBM Advanced Diagnostic setup disk only allows
> drive types to range from 1 to 15.  How do I set the drive
> type to 20?

  To force the drive type to another value, you have to change
  its value in the cmos of your system.  According to my
  tech ref manual:

    CMOS Fixed Disc Type ( CMOS Address 12H )
    contains the one byte disk type you require.

    To write to the cmos you must use your AT's method of
    updating its cmos.  My ref ( which is for HP ES-12 an AT clone )
    has a function for doing this in its V_SYSTEM driver:

     Vector Address   Func Value    Definition
     12h              22h           Read and verify cmos memory

         On entry: BP = 12h
                   AH = 22h
                   BL = address of cmos byte to read.
         On exit:  AH = return status code
                   AL = byte of data from cmos
         Registers altered: ax,bp,ds

         sample code:   mov  bp,12h
                        mov  ah,22h
                        mov  bl, address_in_cmos
                        push ds       ; save ds
                        int  6fh      ; int 6fh for ex-bios
                        pop  ds       ; restore ds

     12h              24h           write to cmos memory

         On entry: BP= 12h
                   AH = 24h
                   AL = byte of data to be written to cmos
                   BL = address of byte to be written to cmos
         On exit: AH = return status code
         Registers altered: ax,bp,ds

     I do not know if this will work on an IBM-AT, you should probably
     check your tech ref manual first -- or you can just try it if
     your not worried about resetting up your system if it fails --
     this is risky ....
     Hope this helps some.

     - Bill Ives
       HP CTD

    #include <std-disclaimer> // These are only my opinions and
             probably are not those of HP... you know the bit.

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (04/19/89)

}
}According to the documentation I have the ST-4038 is a drive
}type 20.  My IBM Advanced Diagnostic setup disk only allows
}drive types to range from 1 to 15.  How do I set the drive
}type to 20?
}

Go to your dealer IMMEDIATELY and ask for the diagnostics 2.xx (mine came
with my IBM  EGA card).  This provides setup for many more disks (I also have
a type 20 disk).

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/20/89)

< / hpctdls:comp.sys.ibm.pc / battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) /  7:52 am  Apr 11, 1989 /
< I have an IBM AT with a new Seagate ST-4038 hard drive. The
< controller is a 16 bit Western Digital.

< According to the documentation I have the ST-4038 is a drive
< type 20.  My IBM Advanced Diagnostic setup disk only allows
< drive types to range from 1 to 15.  How do I set the drive
< type to 20?

I've always set up 4038's as Type 8.

kEITHe

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) (04/22/89)

>In article <1898@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> you write:
>>According to the documentation I have the ST-4038 is a drive
>>type 20.  My IBM Advanced Diagnostic setup disk only allows
>>drive types to range from 1 to 15.  How do I set the drive

>Response 4 of 4 (2766) by u3ky at vax5 on Fri 21 Apr 89 11:41
>Early IBM ATs have a bios that supports only 15 drive types.....

Another solution is to get a controller with a "spoofing" BIOS, such as the
WD1006-VSR2 (RLL) or the Adaptec ACB2372B.

These will override your disk drive type internally, permitting you to not
only get the full capacity of the drive, but also (in some cases) use an RLL
format.  This all assumes that the RLL format is supported by your drive; if
not, it may work or it may not.  The only way to be certain (if it's not
certified) is to try it, and keep good backups for the first few months just
in case.

disclaimer:  We sell the WD1006VSR2 boards, so I am understandably biased.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]