[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS Word 4.0 and Postscript

In article <2639@cps3xx.UUCP> kaotai@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Kao Tai Yung) writes:
>I can not get correct Postscript format
>files from Word. When I print a Word file to another file with
>POSTSCRP.PRD, the file generated is always in so-called MSPRINT for-
>mat.

I've never had any trouble with this.  Just set Printer Options the same
as you would for a local postscript printer, then use Print File instead
of Print Printer.  The only difference should be that the POSTSCRIPT.INI
file is sent automatically ahead of the document when you Print Printer
but it is not included when you Print File.  If you want to send the
file to a different printer you must send POSTSCRIPT.INI ahead of it
at least once - the definitions remain in the printer until it is turned
off (perhaps a bad idea, but that's a different problem).

Les Mikesell

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/22/89)

In article <8260@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
|I've never had any trouble with this.  Just set Printer Options the same
|as you would for a local postscript printer, then use Print File instead
|of Print Printer.  The only difference should be that the POSTSCRIPT.INI
|file is sent automatically ahead of the document when you Print Printer
|but it is not included when you Print File.  If you want to send the
|file to a different printer you must send POSTSCRIPT.INI ahead of it
|at least once - the definitions remain in the printer until it is turned

Yes, I'll second this description of the situation, independently
discovered through much wasted time. What I still don't understand
is how it could ever have worked for me before I learned about this.
(no one else prints _word_ files on the printer I use)
--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"In California, the reward for saving water is a lower quota."