[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request info on PC C compilers

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/21/89)

kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) <1252@infmx.UUCP> :
-
-named differently, and of course borlant has their _own_ .lib format so you
-have to use their linker.

Not at all.  I have used both the MSDOS lib and link, with libraries created
by Borland's tlib, and everything goes fine.  Tlib and Tlink are faster but
somewhat less versatile than lib and link, but they are certainly compatible.

-<19500029@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu :
->
->High performance is desired in the run time package.  I'd trade off having
->my compiles take twice as long if it gives me even a 5% improvement in the

One of the current threads in comp.lang.c revolves around an msc
optimization level which produces incorrect far pointer code.  What is that
quote about the importance of generating the wrong answer quickly?

- TC will allow you to turn on/off all the portability or ANSI messages
- you care to.  It will even let you compile in ANSI-only mode

...by default.  I like to do everything by the book, so I have to go through
the menus and turn everything on.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (04/21/89)

In article <1252@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:
}named differently, and of course borlant has their _own_ .lib format so you
}have to use their linker.

This is not true.  I used MS-LINK to link NetHack 1.4 after compiling with
TC 1.0, because of a bug in TLINK that insisted all of the segments in
class 'DATA' had to fit in 64K (which they don't have to in HUGE model).
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/22/89)

In article <4789@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) writes:
>In article <1252@infmx.UUCP> kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:
>}named differently, and of course borlant has their _own_ .lib format so you
>}have to use their linker.
>
>This is not true.  I used MS-LINK to link NetHack 1.4 after compiling with
>TC 1.0, because of a bug in TLINK that insisted all of the segments in
>class 'DATA' had to fit in 64K (which they don't have to in HUGE model).

   Have you tried a more recent version of Tlink (if you can find one)?
Just in case they've fixed that?

   As for linking, I've used three linkers (in various versions):  Plink86
Plus (as supplied by Nantucket with Clipper), Microsoft's LINK, and Borland's
Tlink.  I found LINK to be several times faster than Plink, and Tlink to be
2-3 times faster than LINK, when linking Clipper code.  I don't know how
this comparison fares with other languages, but I'd imagine that similar
results would be found.

   By the way, I once tried Tlink 1.0 with Lattice C 3.10, and it wouldn't
work.  This was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember the exact
problem, but Tlink produced an EXE that would hang the machine; LINK
took the same files and created a working EXE.  Other than that, though,
I've never had any problems with Tlink.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no affiliation with any of the companies whose products
   are mentioned above.
! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! Goddamn exams!  I hate them!  I hate them! ! I'm only an undergrad !