[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Non-standard VGA mode

sll@cl.cam.ac.uk (Sai Lai Lo on steve) (04/13/89)

Help !
I've got a clone VGA card named "Fortune 35". From the flimsy documentation
I've got, it is capable of displaying 640x480 256 colour. But I just don't
know how to set that mode up. I wonder if anybody can tell me how to do it
I have tried almost everything possible but the best that I have got is a
640x400 resolution, however, the second half of the screen is just displaying
the same value in the upper half (with a shift).
I would be very grateful if anyone can help me out of this.

The card has got two chips from CIRRUS LOGIC. I don't know this infomation
is useful or not.

Sai Lai.

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (04/22/89)

In article <45900226@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

[this is a discussion of 8514A support]
>Microsoft Windows is sometime in the future (or is it Real Soon Now)
>supposed to support it. Since they actually got they specs, it
>probably will be no slower than Windows generally (which is slow,
>but not as slow as something written by IBM)_.

Sorry, wrong. Windows 286 has supported the 8514A since July 88.
This is in Versions 2.10 and 2.11.  Windows 386 Ver 2.11 also
supports the 8514A.  2.11 is the current version.

There are a large number of applications that will work with
MS Windows on the 8514A.

Phil Barrett
Microsoft Corp