[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info wanted: Micro 1 Power 386-20

alu@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (Alan Lustiger) (04/18/89)

Does anyone have experience with the Micro 1 Power 386-20
PC? It seems to be far and away the least expensive 386
available ($1995 with 1 Meg memory, 32M HD, keyboard,
mono monitor & card.) PC Magazine liked it (Feb 28 First
Looks.) Has anyone bought one? Is it as good a bargain as
it looks?

Please e-mail replies; I'll summarize if there is interest.
--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Labs -- Engineering Research Center

galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu (04/18/89)

I recently ordered the motherboard only version of this computer from
Micro 1.  At the time I ordered it I was told 3 weeks for shipment.
After 3 weeks I called again and was told 2 more, as I recall.  I
checked my bill and my credit card was charged before shipment, so I
called them to let them know I was going to tell the credit card
company to hold payment from them since they hadn't shipped.  The
salesperson acted miffed and said the prices quoted were for
prepayment, but couldn't really argue the case.  Anyway this continued
for at least another month, with ship dates being missed.  I then saw
an add from a local company for a 386 20mhz motherboard for about the
same cost, canceled my micro 1 order and bought the local one.  Works
wonderfully!  I'm waiting for my next credit card bill to make sure
that micro 1 credited my account...I'll believe it when I see it.

					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin       		      (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer, Yale Univ. C.S.    galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station    ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct   06457			      galvin-peter@yalecs.bitnet

ccma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Chung-chun Ma) (04/22/89)

I don't know about Micro 1's 386 machines, but I had a terrible
experience dealing with this company.  In March 1988 I bought a 286 AT
compatible from them.  After six months the machine started working
erratically.  As suggested by their technician I shipped it back for
repairs on Oct. 12.  One stupid thing I did was to leave the 80287 math
coprocessor I bought myself on the motherboard.  I called the technician
on Oct. 25 and he said it hadn't arrived yet.  However when I later
received the check paid by Micro 1 for my COD postage it was dated Oct. 24.
     For the next one and a half months I called fourteen times to check
on it and each time I was told that this technician was not in.  When I
asked about the computer they said he was working on it and nobody else
knew how it was going.  And he never returned my phone calls as I
requested.  On Dec.  12 I finally reached him on the phone.  He said he
had been transferred to another department and knew nothing about my
computer.  Without giving further explanations he passed me on to
somebody else.
     So more phone calls for another month and a half.  I first found
out that they had lost track of my computer.  They promised to assemble
a new one for me.  When I mentioned the 80287, they promised I'll get it
too.  But every day I watched UPS trucks passing in front of my house
without stopping.
     With the help of a friend who knows better how to deal with this
kind of situation I finally got a computer back on Feb. 20.  Not
surprisingly there was no 80287 in it.  This friend of mine kept working
on the 80287 but we still can't get it up to now.
     According to some sources Micro 1 is undergoing some transition
these days.  That might explain all the confusion there is.  I felt a
little bit relieved when I found out through this newsgroup that I'm not
the only victim.  But the frustrations and the loss of four months' time
in my last year of graduate work was just too much.

schanck@harmonica.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (04/23/89)

In article <7893@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ccma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Chung-chun Ma) writes:
> [... details of a bad experience with Micro 1 ...]
>     With the help of a friend who knows better how to deal with this
>kind of situation I finally got a computer back on Feb. 20.  Not

Now this is a friend we could all use; who was this guy, A Man Called Hawk?

:-)

-=-
"Does the phrase 'go suck a lemon' hold any meaning for you?"
---- Raphael, in "TMNT: The Epic Begins"
Christopher Schanck (schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu)