[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for Inexpensive Data Acquisition

jmbj@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.m.bittman) (04/25/89)

I'm looking for an inexpensize analog I/O board for the
PC bus.  What I would Ideally like, (hopefully around $300)

	1)  12-bit, 2 channels in and out
	2)  on board anti-aliasing filters
	3)  programmable sample rate
	4)  on-board, (presumably fifo) memory

Am I asking for too much, for too little $$$ ?

If anyone knows of such a beast please tell me, and I'll
post a summary and recommendations if there is interest.

Thanks in Advance!

Jim Bittman, att!whuts!jmbj

barkdoll@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ed Barkdoll) (04/26/89)

In article <487@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> jmbj@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.m.bittman) writes:
>I'm looking for an inexpensize analog I/O board for the
>PC bus.  What I would Ideally like, (hopefully around $300)
>
>	1)  12-bit, 2 channels in and out
>	2)  on board anti-aliasing filters
>	3)  programmable sample rate
>	4)  on-board, (presumably fifo) memory

	For some reason A/D boards with a small number of channels, e.g. 2
in/out, are hard to find, or so has been my experience.  Metrabyte sells
a low speed (30/s) A/D board (DASCON-1) with 4 differential A/D lines in,
2 analog lines out, 12 bits digital I/O lines for $525 (non-programmable).
Another board  (DAS-16) which _is_ programmable has 12 analog lines in, 2
analog lines out, 8 digital i/o lines and other goodies.  It can sample up to
50000/s and costs $999.

	Data Translation sells a board with 16 single ended 10 bit analog lines
in, 2 8-bit analog lines out, 16 lies digital I/O all of which is programmable.
the board (DT2808) runs $495.

	Both MB and DT offer a number of other boards of which these 3 seemed
most appropriate.  Catalogues can be obtained from the addresses below.

	As for "anti-aliasing filters" I would suggest that you just make sure
that your sampling frequency is twice that of the highest frequency component
of your signal - then aliasing will not be a problem.  For example if you're
only interested in signals < 100 Hz, run your signal through a low freq.
band pass filter to remove everything above about 100 Hz and then sample at 200
Hz.  If you can't filter your input signal and it contains frequencies
greater than 1/2 times your sampling frequency then you're S.O.L because as far
as the A/D board is concerned (or any other digital sampling device) an aliased
signal and a "true" signal are the same - i.e. they cannot be distinguished.
On the other hand if these "high" frequency components of your input signal
are of sufficiently low amplitude (which is more or less what filtering your
signal ensures) then you won't have to worry about them anyway.

	Data Translation
	100 Locke Drive
	Marlboro, MA 01752
	(617) 481-3700