[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Configuring 3.5 drives for 720K default

hpchang@tiger.waterloo.edu (I'm a Wild One) (04/25/89)

(...Once again I go to the net for hope...)

This question went around about a month ago but I seem to forget
the correct solution.  Here's the problem :

Configuration: DTK Motherboard - XT Clone
               360K floppy drive as drive A: (5.25 disks)
               720K floppy drive as drive B: (3.5 disks)
                    These two connect to the same controller card
               20 Meg Segate hard disk as drice C:

My problem is that the 720K B: drive defaults to 360K.  I use
DRIVER.SYS to create a logical D: drive that uses the 3.5 drive
correctly at 720K, but the B: drive is still set to 360K.  I'm
trying to set the B: drive to 720K as a default.  I've tried
using DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS but get Unrecognized command errors.
(Using MSDOS DOS version 3.30 - manuals do give DRIVPARM as a
valid CONFIG command).  I remember something about CONTROL-A a
while back.  Can anyone help.

CONFIG.SYS
files=20
buffers=16
device=c:\dos\driver.sys /d:1     <-- I've tried drivparm=/d:1
device=c:\dos\nansi.sys
device=c:\mouse\mouse.sys
shell=c:\command.com /e:512 /p

psfales@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (04/26/89)

In article <13455@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, hpchang@tiger.waterloo.edu (I'm a Wild One) writes:

> (...Once again I go to the net for hope...)
> I'm
> trying to set the B: drive to 720K as a default.  I've tried
> using DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS but get Unrecognized command errors.
> (Using MSDOS DOS version 3.30 - manuals do give DRIVPARM as a
> valid CONFIG command).  I remember something about CONTROL-A a
> while back.  Can anyone help.

Here it is, exactly as I got it from the net.  I have tried it and it
works.  This is to fix a bug which prevents DRIVPARM from working
properly in in MS-DOS 3.3.  I am told that Microsoft
has released 3.30A which fixes the bug, but this is a nice workaround.

What I would *really* like to know is how Bob (or whoever did it) figured
this out.

======================= begin repost ====================================

I did post this before, but I fear it got lost....

There is a simple way of making DRIVPARM work, at least on PC-DOS 3.3 (I have
tried it and it works). It is *extremely* baroque, but who cares?

Place three control-A characters (yes, the ASCII value 1) into the line
after the DRIVPARM= bit, before the parameters. If we represent CONTROL-A
as ^A, the line might look like this:

     DRIVPARM=^A^A^A/D:n /F:n   ... etc

I don't know why it works, but it sure does!
--
           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP

--