[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More than 24 lines in *nix?

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (04/22/89)

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever gotten vi (*nix) to
work on a terminal with more than 25 lines?   132 columns?

I have a termcap entry defined for 43 rows, but things like vi, rn,
more, less, mail, etc, only use the top 25, ignoring the extra lines.

	Advanced Thanks...
		Simon Gales.

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
  Simon Gales@University of Ky

mcintyrd@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (04/22/89)

In article <11563@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there has ever gotten vi (*nix) to
>work on a terminal with more than 25 lines?   132 columns?
>
>	Advanced Thanks...
>		Simon Gales.

I am writing this using vi with about 55 lines, and about 120 columns.
You either have a bad termcap thingee or a bad vi.  I do this
usually from a Sun 3/60, using X.

As a matter of fact, vi evens works right if I change window sizes
in the middle of a session.

				-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you `plate,' or `shrimp'......"
home   : 518-271-6664		|

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (04/24/89)

From article <11563@s.ms.uky.edu>, by simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales):
> I was wondering if anyone out there has ever gotten vi (*nix) to
> work on a terminal with more than 25 lines?   132 columns?
>
> I have a termcap entry defined for 43 rows, but things like vi, rn,
> more, less, mail, etc, only use the top 25, ignoring the extra lines.

  I hacked up Xenix termcap entry for an aaa terminal and used Telix
  (msdos comm program) in the 60line mode and vi seems to work with
  it.

  ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (04/25/89)

The vi we use on our HP-UX systems looks for two environment variables,
LINES and COLUMNS.  These may not always be set properly on login (for
many different reasons), but manually changing them to appropriate values
before running vi (if yours recognizes such variables) may be what you
should do.  (For example, using X-windows, it is possible to change your
window size to be some odd size not defined by termcap.  Thus, by setting
these variables I can adjust vi's operation to fit my adapted windows.)

andy@mks.UUCP (Andy Toy) (04/26/89)

In article <5190009@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
  The vi we use on our HP-UX systems looks for two environment variables,
  LINES and COLUMNS.  These may not always be set properly on login (for
  many different reasons), but manually changing them to appropriate values
  before running vi (if yours recognizes such variables) may be what you
  should do.  (For example, using X-windows, it is possible to change your
  window size to be some odd size not defined by termcap.  Thus, by setting
  these variables I can adjust vi's operation to fit my adapted windows.)

I haven't been successful using lines (or rows) and columns.  I believe
that it is only used by xwindows for the window size and the resize
command resets these variables and the TERMCAP environment variable to
the correct window size which vi will use.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,    Internet: andy%mks@watmath.UWaterloo.ca
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,            UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (04/26/89)

	as to use the EGA 43 lines mode, there are 3 things to try:
	   (First adjust your terminal to the new mode)

		1) set li# (lines) or co# (columns) in the 'termcap' database
			to the appropriate #s.

		2) set the corresponding parameters in the 'terminfo' database
			to the appropriate #s.

		3) do a 'stty rows #' where # is the number of rows/lines.
			do a 'stty columns #' where # is the number of columns.

			Some systems just use environment variables for these, if
			they (or similar ones) are set in your environment, change
			them also.

	It seems all I needed was the 'stty rows/columns' thing; I'm typing
	this on a 132x43 screen, now all I need are some glasses...

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------\

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (04/26/89)

andy@mks.UUCP (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <5190009@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
>  The vi we use on our HP-UX systems looks for two environment variables,
>  LINES and COLUMNS.  These may not always be set properly on login (for
>  many different reasons), but manually changing them to appropriate values
>  before running vi (if yours recognizes such variables) may be what you
>  should do.  (For example, using X-windows, it is possible to change your
>  window size to be some odd size not defined by termcap.  Thus, by setting
>  these variables I can adjust vi's operation to fit my adapted windows.)

>I haven't been successful using lines (or rows) and columns.  I believe
>that it is only used by xwindows for the window size and the resize
>command resets these variables and the TERMCAP environment variable to
>the correct window size which vi will use.

1.  Notice that David Reed said "LINES" and "COLUMNS" (upper case), not
    "lines" and "columns".  And they do work on HP-UX vi.

2.  HP has someone supporting vi, fixing bugs, making extensions for HP-UX.
    It could be that LINES/COLUMNS is HP-specific.

3.  MKS vi is a clone written by MKS.  Possibly this is one feature they
    missed.

Art Boyne, boynte@hplvla.hp.com