[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info about Polytron Make

thuang@pilot.njin.net (Terence Huang) (04/15/89)

Is Polytron's make facility substantially better than the make
facility that comes packaged with various software packages, e.g.
Borland's Turbo Pascal? Is it worth the extra dough?

                  - thuang@pilot.njin.net

jeff@cdp.UUCP (04/16/89)

Polytron's "make" is good, but the best "make" that I know of is
Opus Make, which was written by the folks who wrote the shareware
NDMAKE package.  It has features galore and it costs much less
than Polytron's package (I think it is about $75).  If you're on
a tight budget, try NDMAKE, which can be downloaded from many BBSes.

	Jeff Dean
	uunet!pyramid!cdp!jeff
	hplabs!cdp!jeff

Standard disclaimer: I have no connection to Opus; I've used their software
and I like it.

Eric.Martinson@busker.FIDONET.ORG (Eric Martinson) (04/20/89)

Polytron is much nicer than Borland or Microsoft's make.  It offers
many features that make is completely adaptable to any special
circumstances.  It supports the concept of <include> files so you
can create boiler plate style make files (one of the products at my
company contains over 150 makefiles and over 1500 source files -
impossible to maintain this many files without flexibility.)

--
Eric Martinson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!Eric.Martinson

Devin_E_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com (04/26/89)

> Polytron is much nicer than Borland or Microsoft's make.  It offers
> many features that make is completely adaptable to any special
> circumstances.  It supports the concept of <include> files so you
> can create boiler plate style make files (one of the products at my
> company contains over 150 makefiles and over 1500 source files -
> impossible to maintain this many files without flexibility.)
>

> --
> Eric Martinson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
> 	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!Eric.Martinson
> 	    ARPA: Eric.Martinson@busker.FIDONET.ORG

Polytron may offer some additional bells and whistles, but Borland's make
(not thier integrated "project" facility) has supported file inclusion
and conditional directives since v1.0.  Yes, very handy for boiler plate
and producing multiple versions (debug, production, demo, etc.) from common
makefiles.  Best of all, it's free with the compiler.

Devin_Ben-Hur@Cup.Portal.Com
...ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!devin_ben-hur

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (04/27/89)

In article <17578@cup.portal.com> Devin_E_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com writes:

>Polytron may offer some additional bells and whistles, but Borland's make
>(not thier integrated "project" facility) has supported file inclusion
>and conditional directives since v1.0.  Yes, very handy for boiler plate
>and producing multiple versions (debug, production, demo, etc.) from common
>makefiles.  Best of all, it's free with the compiler.

But Borland's make (and the public domain makes I've used) are broken in
the following way:  they do not properly handle transitive implicit
dependencies.  E.g.

.a.b:
.b.c:

If a .b file exists then they remake things correctly, but cannot
rebuild everything from a .a file with no .b file in existence.  Check
it out.

Does anyone know of a public domain make which handles this properly??

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!