[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Xwindows server for PC Needed

dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (04/21/89)

	Hello,

		I am looking for any existing X Window server software
	for IBM-PC style machines.  Drivers for Ethernet, token ring
	and local talk cards are important.

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (04/23/89)

In article <9375@j.cc.purdue.edu> dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>		I am looking for any existing X Window server software
>	for IBM-PC style machines.  Drivers for Ethernet, token ring
>	and local talk cards are important.
>
>			Daniel Lawrence

Just the other day I saw an X server running on a PS/2 Model 20-286. It
is sold by IBM, but I believe it may actually be Locus Computing's
PC-XSight.  IBM was apparently willing to sell it for less than $200.

djp

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (04/27/89)

From article <215@isctsse.UUCP>, by pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek):
> In article <9375@j.cc.purdue.edu> dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>>		I am looking for any existing X Window server software
>>	for IBM-PC style machines.  Drivers for Ethernet, token ring
>>	and local talk cards are important.
>>
>>			Daniel Lawrence
>
> Just the other day I saw an X server running on a PS/2 Model 20-286. It
> is sold by IBM, but I believe it may actually be Locus Computing's
> PC-XSight.  IBM was apparently willing to sell it for less than $200.
>
> djp

   Wait a minute. Locus wrote Xsight sells it for $400.00. IBM buys the
   rights and sells it for 200.00? Something dosn't sound right here.

   By the way for the Xsight product you need Execlan either net card
   and software. This will set you back another 500 - 600.

   Any users out there used Xsight connected to a unix system running
   X and used a application program yet? Something along the line
   of Frames desktop publishing software or Qnix Xwindows type spreadsheet.
   If so can you let us know what it's like.

   ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda