[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm 2.4.3

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (04/15/89)

In article <13561@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>You should be aware that Procomm 2.4.3 appears to exist.  (I use Telix now...
>but may switch, depending on whether it works in a Windows-286 window or
>not.)

Does Procomm 2.4.3 really exist?  Anyone know where I can get a copy
of it?  Any BBS in the Bay Area have it for downloading?

              |    |    |               Navigate the RISC
             )_)  )_)  )_)              storm with the
            )___))___))___)\            good chip CLIPPER!
           )____)____)_____)\\
         _____|____|____|____\\\__
---------\                   /---------
  ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
         ^^^^      ^^^
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!garth!dbarnes   415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

jhan@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (ji han) (04/15/89)

In article <2712@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>In article <13561@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>
>>You should be aware that Procomm 2.4.3 appears to exist.  (I use Telix now...

>Does Procomm 2.4.3 really exist?  Anyone know where I can get a copy
>of it?  Any BBS in the Bay Area have it for downloading?

 Yes, it does.  I have been using it for quite a while.  I downloaded
 it from BBS of Indiana University (812-335-7252).  The same board can
 be accessed from mainframe, using the username "ACCESS" (no password
 needed).
 --Ji

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/16/89)

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) <2712@garth.UUCP> :
-
-Does Procomm 2.4.3 really exist?  Anyone know where I can get a copy

I had a copy for awhile.  The only changes were the addition of "ymodem-G"
protocol and some minor cosmetic touchups, and one change in the way the
screen handles over-long lines.  Since v2.4.2 gives me working wordwrap, and
I could never get v2.4.3 OR pc+ to wordwrap instead of just jamming
everything into the 80th column, I tossed it.

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (04/17/89)

For those who were wondering where to get it, Simtel20's got it (of course)
if you have FTP access to the Internet.
+----------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
|     "Why?"     | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
+----------------+-----------------------------------------+

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/22/89)

As quoted from <19711@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> by bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante):
+---------------
| dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) <2712@garth.UUCP> :
| -Does Procomm 2.4.3 really exist?  Anyone know where I can get a copy
|
| I had a copy for awhile.  The only changes were the addition of "ymodem-G"
| protocol and some minor cosmetic touchups, and one change in the way the
| screen handles over-long lines.  Since v2.4.2 gives me working wordwrap, and
| I could never get v2.4.3 OR pc+ to wordwrap instead of just jamming
| everything into the 80th column, I tossed it.
+---------------

Auto-wrap (I forget what it's called, and I can't get both PCPLUSTD.EXE and
PCSTD.EXE to both run at the same time under Windows, sigh) is a setup
option.  I'm running PCPLUSTD right now (Telix is in fact history now, as
far as I'm concerned -- seems I missed a release of PCPLUSTD that fixed its
botchery under WIndows... but I still need to work out a better termcap
before I am willing to commit to registering it) and it doesn't hammer lines
against the 80th column.

Oh -- just got PCSTD to work (must've managed to get a contiguous piece of
memory for a change) -- it's called "Line wrap", selection E on the TERMINAL
GENERAL menu.  I dunno about 2.4.3, but I assume it is available and working.
(I'll know later tonight.)

++Brandon (still searching for a good VT100 with chat mode under Windows)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/24/89)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) <13594@ncoast.ORG> :
-	[ I say ]
-+---------------
-
-Auto-wrap (I forget what it's called, and I can't get both PCPLUSTD.EXE and
-PCSTD.EXE to both run at the same time under Windows, sigh) is a setup
-option.

Yes.  My complaint is that the SAME option (same setup menu and everything)
works for me under v2.4.2, but not under v2.4.3 or the PLUS edition.

In article <19944@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) <13594@ncoast.ORG> :
>-	[ I say ]
>-| screen handles over-long lines.  Since v2.4.2 gives me working wordwrap, and
>-| I could never get v2.4.3 OR pc+ to wordwrap instead of just jamming
>-| everything into the 80th column, I tossed it.
>-+---------------
>
>Yes.  My complaint is that the SAME option (same setup menu and everything)
>works for me under v2.4.2, but not under v2.4.3 or the PLUS edition.

I am using v2.4.3 and the word wrapping works just fine.  In the setup
menu under terminal setup (#8) lets you turn on the line wrap.  I have
had no problems.

Greg Cook
cook@frith.egr.msu.edu    gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/25/89)

cook@frith.UUCP (Greg Cook) <2708@cps3xx.UUCP> :
-In article <19944@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
->allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) <13594@ncoast.ORG> :
->-	[ I say ]
->-| I could never get v2.4.3 OR pc+ to wordwrap instead of just jamming
->
->Yes.  My complaint is that the SAME option (same setup menu and everything)
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                              notice this?

->works for me under v2.4.2, but not under v2.4.3 or the PLUS edition.
-
-I am using v2.4.3 and the word wrapping works just fine.  In the setup
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
-menu under terminal setup (#8) lets you turn on the line wrap.  I have
 Do I hear an echo?

-had no problems.

[Flame on, as they say.]

I KNOW PROCOMM HAS A WORDWRAP OPTION IN THE SETUP MENU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've repeatedly referred to it, in the process of saying that its
functionality (for me) has gotten worse.  In the last go-round I directly
referred to the menu, just to tip people like Greg Cook off that I already
know the menu is there.  And I know its contents.  I don't find setup menus
to be such an obscure concept that I need repeated parrotings of the obvious.

When I say a function is broken, you can flame me for being too stupid
to use it correctly.  But when you turn right around and tell me that it
exists, I must assume that you're too stupid to notice that I already KNOW
the thing exists.  If I didn't know it was there, I wouldn't think it was
functioning incorrectly.

I'm glad v2.4.3 works for you, and that PCPlus works for somebody else.
Version 2.4.2 works for me -- it has a LINE WRAP option, number 8 on the
TERMINAL SETUP menu which I access by pressing ALT-S, then a 2 and a CR,
then an 8, then another CR to toggle the value of the LINE WRAP option.
Isn't that neat?  And the documentation says to do exactly that, too!  And
on top of everything else, it functions *correctly*, too!!

[sheesh.  Flame off.]

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/29/89)

As quoted from <19944@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> by bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante):
+---------------
| allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) <13594@ncoast.ORG> :
| -	[ I say ]
| -| screen handles over-long lines.  Since v2.4.2 gives me working wordwrap, and
| -| I could never get v2.4.3 OR pc+ to wordwrap instead of just jamming
| -| everything into the 80th column, I tossed it.
| -+---------------
| -
| -Auto-wrap (I forget what it's called, and I can't get both PCPLUSTD.EXE and
| -PCSTD.EXE to both run at the same time under Windows, sigh) is a setup
| -option.
|
| Yes.  My complaint is that the SAME option (same setup menu and everything)
| works for me under v2.4.2, but not under v2.4.3 or the PLUS edition.

I don't know what to say, except that it works for me under PLUS and (for
the short time that I used it; I went back to PLUS) 2.4.3.

++Brandon