[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EZ-DOS 4.1 and Concurrent DOS

optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/24/89)

Has anyone tried the EZ-DOS 4.1 (by Digital Research & 2001 Sales)?
How about the Concurrent DOS?  I would like to obtain more info. on
these products from actural users.

Thanks in advance!

Qiwu Liu
Computer Center
Univ. of Kansas

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (04/29/89)

In article <5685@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> Has anyone tried the EZ-DOS 4.1 (by Digital Research & 2001 Sales)?
> How about the Concurrent DOS?  I would like to obtain more info. on
> these products from actural users.

I have never used EZ-DOS, but I have done a fair amount of playing
around with Concurrent DOS.

Concurrent DOS is a reasonable multitasking implementation of a DOS-like
environment.  As you might imagine, true DOS compatibility is limited, if
by that you mean can it run XYZ hostile PC application (sometimes it seems
that this means 95% of them ...).  It can't run most game programs, for
example, and Sidekick and similar abominations give it fits.

It is rather nice to be able to edit in one window while a compile or
whatever is running in another window.  (Unfortunately if you like
MAC-like windows, the Concurrent windows are text based rather than
graphics based).  Generally compilers work, and a fair number of editors
work (I doubt, for example, that Brief would work -- I've never used the
editor but judging from what I've heard about how much it likes to
bypass the OS I doubt that Concurrent would tolerate it well.  Also it
is unlikely that Microsoft Word would run for similar reasons).  There is
a reasonable editor that comes with it, and numerous places sell editors
that WILL run on it - notably VEDIT, there may be others.

Early versions had compatibility problems with the batch files and with
the ANSI terminal emulation that made it much less DOS compatible than
you might think it could be, but that problem has been pretty much
cleared up.

You do pay for having a multitasking environment - the operating system
takes up around 256K+/- (depending on which version and what options
you have installed).

The tasking efficiency is fair.  The versions I have played with are not
real great with overlapping disk processing - the file system handler is
single-threaded;  if one process has the disk semaphore, nobody else can
do any disk I/O until that process has released it (this happens at the
operating system level and is transparent to the application programmer
or the user, except for the effect that disk I/O is slower than it could
be.  One consequence of this is that hard disk I/O and floppy disk I/O
can NOT be overlapped!!!  - the reason I'm aware of the way it works in
this detail in fact is that at one time I did a fair amount of XIOS
hacking [the Concurrent DOS equivalent of a BIOS] to support some disk
drives that DRI in their wisdom did not support).

Fortunately this problem rarely occurs in practice - it's more of an
annoyance than anything else.  Most of the time it really IS a great
help, and most of the time you don't get more task-to-task interference
than with most other multitasking operating systems (most of them don't
handle two applications hitting the same disk at the same time very
nicely either -- it's not an easy problem to deal with).

It is also VERY nice to have a DOS-like operating system with a REAL
printer spooler instead of the joke that Microsoft inflicts on an
unsuspecting public.

Now for the bad news.  The progressive versions of Concurrent DOS have
deteriorated after version 5, and the current version of Concurrent DOS
will not run on my PC.  Since I do not have a license for the XIOS (the
XIOS hacking was for a customer who needed it modified & who owned the
license for it), I am unable to find or fix the problem (at least not
without a great deal of trouble, especially since my experience with the
XIOS was several versions back), which I suspect to be in the video
support (windowing crashes the system in funny ways).

If it can run your applications and if it can run on your machine, I
think it is a reasonable environment.  I'd suggest trying to find
someone who already has it and trying it out since DRI is not a
particularly responsive company .....

						Bruce C. Wright