[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Free form PC database

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (04/25/89)

I am looking for a text-oriented database, something like a computerized
stack of 3x5'' cards, on which I can ``write'' notes, references, etc.,
file, and later retrieve, sort, search, etc.  The capability to ``link''
cards together would also be nice.  I don't need to generate fancy
reports from these, nor necessarily do calculations.  I would probably
want to send the text more less directly to a word processor or LaTeX
input file...

What is available for the PC, either PD, shareware, or moderately priced
commercial?

Thanks!!		martin wittmann
mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/25/89)

Fill your IBM with cement, fly over Boca Raton, drop it, buy a macintosh,
comes with free Hypercard, live happily ever after.

Frustrated.

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (04/26/89)

In article <7941@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) writes:
> I am looking for a text-oriented database, something like a computerized
> stack of 3x5'' cards, on which I can ``write'' notes, references, etc.,
> file, and later retrieve, sort, search, etc.  The capability to ``link''
> cards together would also be nice.  I don't need to generate fancy
> reports from these, nor necessarily do calculations.  I would probably
> want to send the text more less directly to a word processor or LaTeX
> input file...
>
> What is available for the PC, either PD, shareware, or moderately priced
> commercial?
>
> Thanks!!		martin wittmann
> mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu

I've been using MemoryMate for some time now, and find it quite to my liking.
(There is also a program called Instant which was shareware and seems to be an
early version of MemoryMate - perhaps Broderbund which puts out MemoryMate
bought the program.)

MemoryMate is a free-form database.  I keep all kinds of random bits of
information in one of my databases.  I've also created a bibliography database
to simplify searching for references, and to include the abstract so I can try
to remember what a particular paper is all about.  There's a hypertext option
which allows you to link entries together, but I've not yet used this option.

Searches are quick.  While I haven't asked MemoryMate to search through a
database of 1000+ items (I think the largest I've got so far is <100), I'm just
using an XT clone, and find the searches to be almost instantaneously
completed.  Search options include the usual boolean operators.

You can run MemoryMate as a TSR and pop it over top of your word processor and
cut-and-paste entries directly into the word processor.  Or you can export
records to a text file and import them later into your word processor.

As mentioned above, MemoryMate is put out by Broderbund.  I suspect that any
decent mail order outfit would be able to get you a copy.

I have no connection what-so-ever with Broderbund; I'm simply a happy user of
MemoryMate.
Paul Gomme        Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet      ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (04/27/89)

From article <111700071@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

> Fill your IBM with cement, fly over Boca Raton, drop it, buy a macintosh,
> comes with free Hypercard, live happily ever after.
>
> Frustrated.

  I beleive the original poster was asking for a free form 3x5 index
  card program for the pc. Someone suggested an inexpensive 49.00
  program to do just that. There's lots of these types of programs,
  Tracker, Rolodexs commercial and PD. Your idea suggesting the
  person go out and spend 2-3 thousand is rediculous. But your
  right I would be frustrated also if I had to buy two computers.

  ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (04/28/89)

In article <4577@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <111700071@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:
>>
>> Fill your IBM with cement, fly over Boca Raton, drop it, buy a macintosh,
>> comes with free Hypercard, live happily ever after.
>>
>> Frustrated.
>
>  ................................... Your idea suggesting the
>  person go out and spend 2-3 thousand is rediculous. But your
>  right I would be frustrated also if I had to buy two computers.
>
>  ---Bob

The first reply above is the most amusing (and perhaps most tempting, if
practically realizeable) proposed solution to my query that I (the
original requestor) have seen.  However, I have a laptop, so:
	* I'm afraid dropping it over Boca Raton wouldn't make a big
		enough impact on IBM;
	* It still beats the Mac for portability (...oh, for a laptop
		Mac!).

Thanks for the many e-mail and net replies.  Some who replied were not
aware that *freemacs* DOES have an Info mode, available in a separate
archive from Clarkson U. and Simtel20.  I still am not sure how suitable
Info would be for creating a free-form, hypertext-ish, database.
Someone wrote me that Info files are *quite* structured and awkward to
create and maintain.  Any comments?

I haven't gotten any responses from satisfied users of MaxThink or
Houdini (are there none?).  The HYPERTEXT.ARC package on Simtel is
"interesting," but (a) doesn't allow links to different parts of a
*single* file, which would seem to lead to an explosion in the number of
files, (b) is oriented toward *static* hypertext (not very easily
modifiable by the user), (c) is incomplete, requiring MaxThink or
Houdini to create the top level Net files, and (d) would be difficult
to force to extract sections of a list of links into a single new
document.

So why ISN'T there a HyperCard for the PC?

martin wittmann			(mrwittma@phoenix.princeton.edu)
#include <disclaimer.h>

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (04/29/89)

Another free-from text database is 3BY5 [card], available from
Softshell Corp. 1254 Thornberry Road, West Chester, PA 19380
215 793 1431. Used to be distributed as shareware. A colleage used
an older version. I have no direct experience with. Latest version is
$49.95 [standard] or $69.95 [plus]

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411