[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do you turn off the PC's BEEP?

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (04/28/89)

Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
panel, but IBM's don't have them.

  Mario Dona
  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
  The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

schanck@harmonica.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (04/28/89)

In article <1544@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

>Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
>I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
>computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
>panel, but IBM's don't have them.

I remember this being a problem on the Apple II I had in my room when
I was in high school (I wanted to play games without waking the
parents :-). My solution then was to install a little switch on one of
the wires leading to the speaker, the switch being of the
single-pole-single-throw type available at any Radio Shack. Does
anybody know if cutting off the lead to the speaker would cause any
problems with the PC? My Apple never gave me any trouble over this.

Chris

-=-
"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
                        --- "The Princess Bride"
Christopher Schanck (schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu)

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/29/89)

In article <1544@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
>I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
>computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
>panel, but IBM's don't have them.

Get /pc/pd2/silence.com by anonymous ftp from 128.214.12.3.
(My apologies to readers if this posting came out a second time.)
Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V) (04/30/89)

I have a silence program that I have gotten off of a local BBS that I have
posted to comp.sys.binaries.

John Joubert                                      |  /\  |    /\    |     _
Internet: jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu                 |  \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13  |--/|-------/|------------
Last Chance: ut-sally!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13         |  \/       \/
GEnie: J.JOUBERT