[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm 2.4.2

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (04/29/89)

Got a question about Procomm 2.4.2.  When I use it as a vt100 terminal
here at work, it will get permanently trashed (stack overflow error)
if you hit the "Ctrl" and "Break" keys at the same time.  That's the
break sequence with SmarTerm 220, which most everybody uses here, and
both I and another well-intentioned person have accidentally trashed
Procomm trying to unfreeze my system.  Yeah, I know the obvious solution
is to make sure I and others don't hit those keys, but is there a
more positive way to fix this, like reconfiguring the break key?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
--

              |    |    |               Navigate the RISC
             )_)  )_)  )_)              storm with the
            )___))___))___)\            good chip CLIPPER!
           )____)____)_____)\\
         _____|____|____|____\\\__
---------\                   /---------
  ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
         ^^^^      ^^^

UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!garth!dbarnes   415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/30/89)

In article <2769@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>Got a question about Procomm 2.4.2.  When I use it as a vt100 terminal
>here at work, it will get permanently trashed (stack overflow error)
>if you hit the "Ctrl" and "Break" keys at the same time.  That's the
>break sequence with SmarTerm 220, which most everybody uses here, and
>both I and another well-intentioned person have accidentally trashed
>Procomm trying to unfreeze my system.  Yeah, I know the obvious solution
>is to make sure I and others don't hit those keys, but is there a
>more positive way to fix this, like reconfiguring the break key?

Here is the first crude solution that comes to mind even if I have
not tested whether it really works in your problem.  (I do not see
why it should not.) Put the following command in your config.sys
file: break=off

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/02/89)

In article <2769@garth.UUCP>, dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:

 >Got a question about Procomm 2.4.2.  When I use it as a vt100 terminal
 >here at work, it will get permanently trashed (stack overflow error)
 >if you hit the "Ctrl" and "Break" keys at the same time.  [...]

Sorry, but that's a "well-known" bug in Procomm 2.4.2.  My advice to you
is to either avoid hitting those keys (like you suggested), or to
switch to Telix, which is a better comm. program and doesn't have
that (and other) annoying "features".  BTW, the line break key in
Procomm 2.4.2 is Alt-F7.  (And most half-decent programs trap Control-Break
anyway (so you don't accidentally send your work to never-never land),
so you should consider yourself lucky that you actually got *anything*
when you hit Control-Break.  Try Alt-X, for a slightly more civilized
way of stopping the program.)

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us