[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Overseas Email

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/23/89)

My apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup, but I don't know where to put
this...

I have a question about e-mail between Europe and North America.  Sometimes I
receive replies to postings of mine, in this group and others, from netters
in Europe (U.K and Finland, primarily).  I like to send some response back
to a correspondent, to let him/her know I got the mail even if I don't have
much to say in reply.

I've also heard that e-mail and these newsgroups are expensive for the
recipient in Europe.  So my question is:  should people in North America
send mail, general postings, etc. to Europeans if they're just a "Thank you
for your interest" sort of message?  Is it worth the money?

syrbz@warwick.ac.uk (J D Mulberg) (04/26/89)

In article <19924@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>My apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup, but I don't know where to put
>this...

(One reason for NOT spitting this newsgroup)

>I've also heard that e-mail and these newsgroups are expensive for the
>recipient in Europe.

As far as I can tell, the UK academic e-mail and network (JANET) is paid for
by the government, although there may be a flat-rate subscription fee.
At any event, the recipient institution will not be charged for the call.
However, *someone* has to pay, so use discretion.

Jon Mulberg,                                          Go placidly amidst the
Warwick University                                    noise and haste ...
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!syrbz	PHONE:  +44 203 523523
JANET:  syrbz@uk.ac.warwick.daisy       ARPA:   syrbz@daisy.warwick.ac.uk

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (04/27/89)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

>I have a question about e-mail between Europe and North America.  Sometimes I
>receive replies to postings of mine, in this group and others, from netters
>in Europe (U.K and Finland, primarily).  I like to send some response back
>to a correspondent, to let him/her know I got the mail even if I don't have
>much to say in reply.
>
>I've also heard that e-mail and these newsgroups are expensive for the
>recipient in Europe.  So my question is:  should people in North America
>send mail, general postings, etc. to Europeans if they're just a "Thank you
>for your interest" sort of message?  Is it worth the money?
----------

This is personal opinion only and easy for me to say because I don't pay
for any of the incurred costs, but I would find it a shame to have to
dispense with courteous behavior for economic reasons.  Actually, I think
it likely that more of the net bandwidth is wasted on flames, nit-picking
comments, and the like than has been spent on courtesy.

 John Hardin
 hardin%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com
 ------

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (05/02/89)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

>I have a question about e-mail between Europe and North America.  Sometimes I
>receive replies to postings of mine, in this group and others, from netters
>in Europe (U.K and Finland, primarily).  I like to send some response back
>to a correspondent, to let him/her know I got the mail even if I don't have
>much to say in reply.

Until recently, we were charged <pounds>0.09 / kbyte of transatlantic mail,
received OR transmitted, which made posting asking for binaries risky.
I believe that it's now 0.02 / kbyte.
Mail from Australia was free... hummm...

We pay a flat rate for news (which crosses the pond just once)
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------